Cheap Keloid Removal

Im 18 years old i have extremely embarassing keloids for 3 years after getting my ears peirced.They way they are hidden beacuse I have long Dread locks. I have been getting steroid shots but they dont work. They Dr. said he could cut them off but it would be $500 per ear which is expensive and painful. Is there a cheaper method to remove them? If so please help, thnx

Keloid scar removal is not cheap or simple

+2

Removal of a keloid scar on the earlobe reflects a genetic pattern of healing. Steroid injections and a compression earring are effective for some, though many will also need surgery to reduce the mass of the scar, and a plan to prevent recurrence. Remember you just pierced your ear to get into the mess. We have found a short course of superficial radiation treatment to be effective after removal. Not cheap or simple, but effective.

peterejohnsonmd

Keloid cost of treatment

+1

Keloids recur and you will have to take into account postoperative treatments and visits in the total cost of your keloid consultation. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

No "Cheap" Answer

+1

The best way to resolve your problem is to cut them out. Your doctor will numb your ear with local anesthesia and you should not feel any pain after that process. You should prepare yourself for this procedure by purchasing compression earrings to prevent them from reoccuring after the corrective surgery. $500 is a very fair fee for this service.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Keloids Are a Vexing Problem

+1

Unfortunately, keloids are difficult to treat, with a roughly 50% recurrence rate regardless of modality of treatment.  Keloids represent an abnormal healing response, with the initial scar growing beyond its natural boundaries in a botyroid (grape-like) fashion.  Most forms of treatment  will involve several intralesional injections of a potent steroid and/or other forms of anti-inflammatory agent, followed by excision.  Some advocate postoperative radiation to the site in order to minimize chance of recurrence. To answer your question: keloids are challenging, and there is no cheap or easy way to deal with them

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon