Forehead scar from age 5. Can it be treated with Plastic Surgery or Laser treatment? What are the costs? (photos)

I'm 29 years old and I have a scar in my forehead since I was 5 years old. Do I need a plastic surgery or laser surgery for my scar that I have in my forehead and how much it cost?

Scar options for a forehead scar

+1
Our office specializes in scar revision, especially for the face. Your forehead scars can benefit from scar excision, serial excision, subcision, or injection and subcision.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Treatment of forehead scar

+1
The scar is very tethered down to the underlying facial structure. Subcision of the scar and a stimulatory filler should improve the appear. additionally, the scar may need several fractionated laser procedure once the scar is level to the surrounding skin.

Cheryl M. Burgess, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar treatment

+1
The gold standard for depressed, pitting and even crater-type acne, chicken pox, and similar indented scars is dermabrasion (not micro-dermabrasion) whereby the skin is sand down with a diamond tip burr to the deeper layers leaving a raw surface for about a week before new smooth skin regenerates. Note, this procedure should only be done by a trained surgeon in an operating room not a nurse nor a technician in a spa setting.
Once your wounds are healing then scar therapy may be considered. Although the results of scar therapy vary from person to person and scar to scar, the results are typically permanent.
Not infrequently potential patients avoid surgery because fear of an unsightly scar. To remedy this, I now utilize and formulate compounded topical creams to treat, relieve and minimize scars for each of my patients:
• new scars
• old scars
• surgical scars
• keloid scars
• stretch marks
• hypertrophic scars
• hyperpigmented (dark) scars
• various acne scars, burn scars and more...
These scar removal creams contain prescription strength medications each individually known to reduce and/or reverse the scarring process but never before compounded together into one high potency formulation. These medications are added to a base of anhydrous silicone (the most common ingredient in everyday topical scar therapy) and Pracaxi oil, found in the Amazon rainforest and known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Many health insurance plans actually cover the cost of the creams and they can be delivered directly to the patients door step. In other words, no need for multiple trips to the doctor for expensive and painful laser treatments, or wasted money on minimally effective over-the-counter topical scar therapy gels or silicone sheets that are unsightly and/or fail to stay on. Instead, with just two applications a day my patients now perform scar therapy in the comfort of their own home. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Forehead scar from age 5. Can it be treated with Plastic Surgery or Laser treatment? What are the costs?

+1
This is a challenging scar to improve because it not only is widened and depressed but there is also either additional scar tissue from the sutures that were used or due to the injury itself. In cases like this people tend to respond best to comprehensive treatment including scar revision, topical scar gel and laser resurfacing/ dermabrasion of the scar. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon