I Had a TT on Aug. 22 and Had a Seroma Drained Today and I'm a Bit Worried?

I had a small seroma drained today. He took out about 15+/- ccs and said it looked normal. Prior to that, he says I have been healing absolutely fantastically. I have been wearing my binder plus another one to really apply pressure. My main concern is the seroma coming back (it has already gotten a little bulbous-y since returning home from my appointment.) Or infection... I leave the state for school in a week. What can I do to keep this seroma from returning or getting any worse?

Repeated aspirations and abdominal binder

+1

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like you are doing a great job wearing your abdominal binder.  I would have your plastic surgeon or his staff re-assess you for a seroma for aspiration every 2-3 days until no additional fluid is noted.  The other option is to have a drain re-inserted.

Dr Remus Repta

Seroma after tummy tuck takes time

+1

You might find that a seroma after a tummy tuck needs aspiration several times. Wearing the binder 24/7, and moderating your activity can help as well.

Seroma Concerns

+1

In regards to the seroma - these are common after abdominoplasty surgery.  It often requires serveal aspiration sessions prior to complete resolution.  I will sometimes have patients come back twice a week to aspirate seromas.  Stay in close contact with your surgeon, and don't be afraid to go back for reassessment frequently.

If your seroma hasn't resolved by the time you leave town, ask your surgeon if he knows of a physician or surgeon in your area that can continue the aspirations in your town.

As for infection, if you're concerned about this you should certainly see your surgeon ASAP.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Concerned about Seroma after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about concerns you have after tummy tuck surgery. It does appear however that your plastic surgeon is treating you appropriately with aspiration and close follow-up. Do not be surprised if a few aspiration  sessions are necessary before the seroma resolves completely. 

Although your plastic surgeon will be the best resource for you, I generally advise patients to  avoid strenuous activity  and maintain an appropriately applied garment over the abdomen.

Most importantly, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Use him as a resource for your questions/concerns.