Is it necessary for me to have a lift with an augmentation surgery? (photos)

I am a 29 y/o woman who has had 2 pregnancies. I am currently in a c/d cup bra depending on the bra. I feel like I am able to fit a bra of that size because of the extra skin on my breast. I have been looking into breast augmentation for about 5 years now. I don't really want larger breast I just don't want my breast to sag. Will an implant fill my loose skin without giving me a "porn star" look or would it be in my best interest to get a lift?

Significant breast sagging need a breast lift

+2
You have significant breast sagging need a breast lift and would be disappointed with only a breast augmentation without a lift.   An implant alone will only give your about 1 to 1.5 cm of lift not enough for you to see much of an improvement. 

Lift with or without implants

+2
Looking at your pictures it seems that you certainly need a lift to make your breasts perkier.  An implant will fill you and add volume,  if you want minimal enlargement then you need a lift.  I would recommend an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you visualize what a lift alone versus a lift with a small/ modest implant will do.  Best of luck!  

Melinda Haws, MD

Lift versus implant + lift

+2
To meet your wishes, you need at least a lift.  An implant alone will not correct the sagging.  An implant and breast lift would give you a lift, and would also provide upper pole fullness (cleavage) that is currently lacking because the majority of the breasts' mass is in the lower pole.  A formal consultation with a plastic surgeon near you would provide more customized advice.  Best regards,
-Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Is it necessary for me to have a lift with an augmentation surgery?

+2
From your photos, I recommend an implant as well as a breast lift.  If you only get a breast lift, your breasts will have a better position but without volume.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+2
If you do not desire the 'sag' and no increase in volume than ONLY a breast lifting operation is indicated....

Lift/Implant

+2
An implant will fill the upper pole of the breast but you will need a lift as well, unless you only want to get rid of the sagging breast tissue with lift.  An implant alone will not give you a lift.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1
Technically, no one has to have a lift with an augmentation.  Some patients will definitely not be happy with an augmentation alone because they are just too droopy to have a nice result so a lift is recommended but there are some patients who are on the cusp.  Depending on what results you are hoping for also makes a difference as to what the surgeon will recommend.  If you don't want to be larger and hope to just have perkier breasts, you may want to consider a lift alone.  If you are not ready for the scars of a lift, you can always try the augmentation first and see how you like them and add a lift later but that also means 2 surgeries and 2 recoveries, etc. After 2 kids, an implant alone will fill some of your loose skin but not enough to give you the "porn star" look unless you go with a very large implant.  You may experience more upper pole fullness but your own breast tissue may hang off of the implant.  It's hard to say from the photos alone so it would be best for you to go see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam and get your best options at that time.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is it necessary to have a breast lift with an augmentation surgery?

+1
Thank you for your question. The important thing for you to do initially is to decide what your goals are for your surgery. You say that you do not want larger breast, you just don’t want them to sag. Your pictures show that you have loose breast skin so a lifting procedure would need to be done to tighten up the skin envelope and raise the nipple position. This would give you a less “deflated” appearance, but would also likely reduce your breast volume. The before and after pictures that you provided all show significantly larger breasts in the after photos. If these photos accurately represent your desired outcome then you will need an augmentation. Based on the pictures you provided, the best way to achieve the results shown would be to have an augmentation with a breast lift at the same time. Alternatively, you could have an augmentation and then if after surgery you and your surgeon felt like you still required a lift, it could be performed as a second procedure at a later date.

David P. Stapenhorst, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Recommend breast lift with implants

+1
Thank you for your pictures. Thanks for the pictures I think a lift would be beneficial. If you just get breast implants you will have larger saggy breasts. Good luck.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast implants and/or breast lift

+1
If you don't want larger breasts, then you just need a lift.  The minimum amount of scarring would be a "lollipop" scar (around your areola and then a vertical scar).  A lift does not add any significant upper breast fullness.  So if you want that fullness, you would need at least a small implant to make them look more perky.  If you only had implants placed, they would look fuller, but not any higher.  Implants alone do not lift breasts.  I have before/after photos of women like you on my website if you're interested.   I hope this helps.  If you need more info, please let me know.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon