23 Years Old, No Children, Should I Get a Muscle Repair with my Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 23 years old, have lost almost 40lbs and will be getting a tummy tuck in a few weeks. My doctor said I shouldn't need muscle repair because I have never had children. Does not having muscle repair affect the way it will look? I just want to look my best and not hate myself anymore.

Muscle repair

+1

Whenever doing a full tummy tuck, the underlying fascia should be tightened otherwise you will not be happy with your result.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Repair Decision Based on Physical Exam and Surgeon's Recommendations

+1

I can tell you that I frequently recommend deferring deep tightening in my patients who already have good muscle tone or who may become pregnant in the future.

Congratulations on your weight loss success.  Maintaining a stable weight will contribute to good results for your health and for your possible surgery. 

Choosing an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should give you the best evaluation and recommendations.  You should notice a very nice improvement in your tummy appearance.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Very hard to respond without in person examination.. My guess is ... no. It is OK not to repair your muscles. 

Fascial repair at the time of an abdominoplasty usually routine

+1

There is no substitute for a physical examination but in general in a weight loss patient there will be some degree of fascial laxity.  This can be determined by pushing your abdomen out, the opposite of always trying to suck it in.  

When is muscle repair needed with tummy tucks?

+1

Look at your tummy with your normal 'holding in your tummy' look and then truly relax your tummy and see if it protrudes a lot more, then you likely could benefit from 'muscle work'.  Or you can still hold your tummy in all the time.

Curtis Wong, MD

23 Years Old, No Children, Should I Get a Muscle Repair with my Tummy Tuck?

+1

The fact that you have lost 40 pounds suggests to me a highly likelihood that you would benefit from a muscle repair. A side view photo would be helpful, but even on the front view I suspect you would benefit. You may wish to consider a second opinion.

All the best. 

+1

Even though you have not had children, you may have loose abdominal fascia from the weight gain. I have found that most people in your situation will need some tightening. The fascial plication will help your stomach look much flatter.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair needed?

+1

I would let your doctor decide.  You may have some diastasis (stretching of your abdominal wall) due to intrinsic fat.  During the operation he will be able to decide whether or not it requires repair.

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Muscle repair need only be performed in the case of abdominal wall weakness.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA