Changing Belly Button Shape w/ Lipo

I'm 21, female, thin. My concern is excess fat above my belly button that makes it look gaping and cavernous and saggy. I'm hoping to get lipo in that area, which will definitely help. The picture I attached gives an accurate idea of what I mean. My waist is 26 inches at 5'10; I don't need to lose weight. I dislike that my belly button points *down*. Could my surgeon maybe improvise something to tweak that? Or is it always by the book? I'm not really put off by some scarring.

Belly button unpredictable with liposuction.

+3

Beware.  You belly button is fine and liposuction cannot help but definiitly can hurt.   This is a difficult area.  At best one hopes to not change a belly button like yours.  If anyone says they can do this, get in it writing and get a drawing of what they hope to achieve.   I have done over 3600 patinets and 16000 areas of liposuction and I would advise........NO LIPOSUCTION.  Your belly button is pretty.  Enjoy your belly buttpon.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Significant belly button shape change unlikely

+2

Liposuction removes fat and that's pretty much all. A significant shape change of the belly button from liposuction is unlikely. Additional belly button surgery short of a tummy tuck will likely not be predictable so I am not sure I would recommend it.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicus

+2

Liposuction of the periumbilical region will debulk that area around the umbilicus but it will probably not alter the shape to have it go up and down like the one you posted...but it may improve.

Changing Belly Button Shape w/ Lipo

+2

A short answer to your question: Liposuction can change the shape of the navel, as the removal of the fat surrounding it pushes the navel closer to the abdominal wall but the result is very unpredictable because of the "shrink wrap effect".

Erel Laufer, MD

Liposuction and Belly Button Shape

+2

Dear vxc61,

Liposuction is generally a wonderful procedure and it can certainly produce dramatic results.  However, the final result of the procedure depends on what you look like before-hand, the surgery (liposuction) that is performed, and the way that your body heals, which really means how your skin contracts into its new contour.

It can also change the way any area looks.  Once the lipo has been performed the surrounding skin and tissues will "shrink" down.  Because of that, there is the likelihood that your belly button will look different after this surgery.

You should discuss the trade-offs with your surgeon.  Your stomach could certainly be made flatter (nothing personal, of course!) but your belly button may also be flattened, and will almost certainly look different.  You'll have to then decide if it's a good trade, although that process should be used for anybody considering any procedure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction and belly button

+1

Unfortunately I see something different from your photos than what you've indicated. To me when I see the enlargement of your current  photo (BEFORE)  (which is probably notated as the photo to the left of the arrow) it appears to be the same photo as that in the AFTER picture to the right of the arrow. The photo is just rotated 90 degrees and has the same white garment, longitudinal skin crease and horizontal skin creases.  The horizontal skin creases are from bending over and give orientation that the after photo is what may be the current anatomically correct position. However, from your history, I don't see your complaint. If the photograph on the left is the correct orientation, then the lower abdominal bulge is unusual in that it is somewhat rectangular and is as high top-to-bottom in the center of the abdomen as it is at the sides, whereas usually, the lower abdominal bulge is rounded and higher from top-to-bottom in the midline of the abdomen and curves up towards the sides. The same applies to the upper abdomen. So if we rotate the left photo we have a more anatomically correct photograph which has the shape of the belly button you want. A photograph showing your abdomen from a further distance, and not such a close-up, will be much better to evaluate your condition, and of course, an in-person consultation is important.  Liposuction normally doesn't change the shape of the belly button except when the lower abdomen is done without the upper abdomen and if the upper abdomen has a surplus of fat, the weight will push down and around the belly button making a fold look like a sad mouth with the corners turned down.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction, surgery, #beauty, #Zeltiq, #coolsculpting

+1

Dear vxc61

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can provide changes in contour of the belly button- BUT there is not guarantee. You can try a non-surgical approach with less risk- CoolSculpting by Zetiq.  This reduces the fat in the area by 20% with each treatment.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Changing Belly Button Shape w/ Lipo

+1

After having done thousands of all types of liposuctions I believe it is a rae event to obtain a new shape BB with liposuction. Yes it is possible but highly unlikely. Best of luck from MIAMI 

Please be realistic about the expected result

+1

Your pictures would have been more helpful if you had full abdominal picture. The picture of the belly button that you desire is from a person that has strong abdominal muscle and minimal fat. If you have  liposuction,your belly button will look worse. You should try abdominal shaping with exercise first and then may be combination of lipo and fat grafting .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Belly button shape and liposuction

+1

Liposuction can contour the abdomen, and can define the mid-line between  the sit-up muscles as in the photo you sent. It is unlikely that the shape of the belly button will change from say, horizontal and deep to more vertical. Have the liposuction if you want to shape the abdomen but don't put too much hope in the belly button.

peterejohnsonmd