What Should Be Changed About my Nose? (photo)

I have 2 rhinoplasty consultations this week and I am trying to articulate in my head what I want changed about my nose. I know that I want the hump removed, for it to not protrude out so far, and for it to be made more narrow from the front view. Also, something about my nostrils in my profile view bother me. I don't like the way they slope downward and I think I would prefer the nostrils to show slightly more when viewing from the side. But I'm not sure how to word this all in my consults.

What Should Be Changed About my Nose?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, I think that you have described in lay terms exactly what should be done during the Rhinoplasty.  Remove the dorsal hump, thin the nose and nasal tip while rotating the nasal tip upward.  The tip projection is aesthetically correct and does not to be reduced IMO.  Hope this helps.

Nose Changes

+1

You have voiced your expectations very well for a rhinoplasty. Make a consultation with an experienced board certified facial plastic surgeon. It would be beneficial to you for the surgeon you choose to use a digital imaging computer to show you what your end results may look like. Have a list of your end result goals as well as any questions you may have. It may also help to have pictures to help show what you desire for your final outcome. Ensure that your surgeon understands your concerns and wants. He/she may also look at your nose in evaluation of the effects these changes may have on your breathing and give you other suggestions.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your assessment of the hump and bridge width are on the mark. The tip projects forward on side view 2/3 of the bridge length so it is not over projecting. The main issue with the tip on the side view is the outer rim of the nostril covers most of the columella. Usually we strive for the rim being 4mm higher than the outer edge of the columella on a side view. This can be due to a retruded columella, a low hanging nostril rim or some combination of the 2. Your upper lip is long so columellar retrusion is less likely. Retrusion is easier to treat, usually with grafts.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Hi Hopeful,

It is good that you are having multiple rhinoplasty consults.  Your rhinoplasty aesthetic goals are realistic.  I agree that slight dorsal hump reduction with narrowing of the nasal bones along with refinement of the lower 1/3 of your nose is a good plan.  From the side, your columella is slightly retracted, and the angle of your tip can be slightly elevated.  Be sure to ultimately choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

What should be changed about my nose?

+1

Hello, a rhinoplasty is in order in your case. Everything that you mentioned here needs to be addressed at your consultations. Your concerns are reasonable and a great result should be possible. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you. 

David Alessi, MD

+1

It sounds to me you have a very good idea of what bothers you about your nose. There are cosmetic changes and then there are breathing problem changes. Your surgeon will look inside your nose as well as the outside and tell you what they feel you need. I always tell patients in this forum that it so very important for you to have many conversations about what you want done. Before you ever allow a surgeon to operate on you it is so important that the two of you are on the exact same page. Seek a board certified surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty surgery. I agree with your observations of taking bump down and refining the upper wideness of the nose. You may benefit from some tip refinement to help with the nostril issues. This is a big decision so meet with as many surgeons as it takes until you say, "This is the one!"

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. The hump at the bridge of the nose, the tip rotation and the tip itself needs to be addressed. Now, thats from looking at your photos and reading your note. However, this is not a formal consultation. Ultimately, you need be seen in  a consultation, the face and nose are evaluated. Your hopes and desires are addressed and you see before and after photos. It would also be helpful if you could take pictures of your desired looks with you to the consultation. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Rhinoplasty Terminology

+1

Yes, communicating with your Rhinoplasty surgeon can be like talking to a plumber. The terminology can be confusing. Most experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons could easily determine what your major concerns are based upon what you have written down already on Real Self.

May I suggest you write down the three things you really do not like about your nose. For example you might say, I have a Dorsal Hump, my nose appears wide at the base/ my nostrils appear to flare out and I would like a more petite nose that is slightly up turned with a slight supra tip break. Often, it could be referred to as a Brittany Spears type nose. Yep, it does not hurt to take an example of a nose you like to the consult/ visit. Of course it helps if the nose you have choosen is of the same ethinicity/ background as you. Most surgeons will immediately admit that it will be difficult to achieve that specific result but, it can give them a good idea where you would like to go with your surgery.  Easy communication between you and your rhinoplasty surgeon can be essential.

Next, rely on the surgeons pre & post operative photographs of their actual rhinoplasty patients to help you determine which surgeon is for you. Surgeons that alter your image to create an image of a possible post operative outcomes could cause you to have unrealist expectations of your post operative result. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Most of the concerns you stated may be improved with well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

The concerns you articulated in your questions are easy to understand and would be helpful for your prospective rhinoplasty surgeon. On front view, your nose is a bit wide, and on profile view you have a bump and your tip is a bit overprojected and underrotated. You also have a "retracted columella", and improving this would increase your nostril show on profile view.

Good luck with your consultations.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Should Be Changed About my Nose?

+1

Even with posted photos you are asking a very open ended question. Best to be examined by a boarded rhinoplasty surgeon in your city. There you will be examined, shown, made to understand the operation of rhinoplasty.