Can You Change Your Nose Profile Without Affecting the Front of the Face?

Hi, I was just wondering whether its possible to make a nose smaller from the side view (tip deprojection) without affecting much how i look from the front? I like my nostril area and how it looks from the front but I wonder would this be affected by making the nose smaller, and If so, would it be quite noticeable and would it make me look very different?

Changing profile w/o changing appearance of front of the face

+1

Shaving down the nasal profile affects the side view more than the frontal profile.  Changes to the frontal view are minimal.  It would not make the nose or facial features much different in appearance from the front profile, only the side profile.

Changing Nasal Profile without affecting Front View

+1

Nasal tip projection can be decreased without affecting the front view as long as the surgeon does not increase the width and flare of the nostrils and nasal base. An experienced surgeon will show you what can be achieved. 

Changing nasal profile without affecting frontal view

+1

It is possible to deproject the nasal tip without affect the frontal view of the nose. However, with larger levels of tip deprojection you may find that your nostrils may become more flared.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal profile and appearance

+1

Changing one aspect like tip projection may affect nostril flare among other things.  Remember the envelope over the strutures is worn a certain way and changing the configuration of those structures impact the appearance of the others and repositions the envelope.

+1

Yes, actually there is a way (and a procedure) to reduce the tip projection while leaving everything else about the nose alone.  I have used this technique along and in combination with a Rhinoplasty numerous times.  Be sure that your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose.

Can you change your nose profile only?

+1

Speaking hypothetically what you are asking can be done from a strictly technical point of view. The problem is to not fall into the trap of only thinking of your nose in isolated views and relationships. For example tip deprojection may please you in profile, but depending on how much it is reduced you may get nostril flaring on front view which you will have to address if you don't want that. It's very common for patients to believe that only one area bothers them and if they fix that they don't need to touch any other area. They are then distressed when the other areas which have been "untouched" are now either out of balance or have previously unnoticed issues because of the narrow pre op focus cause them to not like the result. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing nose in profile without changing the frontal view.

+1

Changing nose in profile without changing the frontal view is possible. Of  course I would need to examine any nose before saying how much change there would be. 

Rhinoplasty Without Changing the Frontal Appearance.

+1

While it depends on how much tip deprojection you are seeking, it is possible to change the profile without changing the front view.  If you are seeking a large amount of deprojection, this would affect the adjacent ala, which would need to be addressed to achieve a balanced appearance.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the goals you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Need photos to understand Nasal Shape

+1

Without seeing a photo this is a difficult question to answer but in general it would be yes.   It is possible to decrease tip projection without altering your overall nasal appearance.  

Change in Nasal Profile Without Changing Frontal View Much

+1

The answer is - yes. In the right hands your nasal bridge height and tip projection can be reduced to provide a nice enhanced appearance while making less dramatic change on your frontal view. Obviously this would require finesse technique in the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty expert. But it can certainly be done with excellent results. If you look in our online photo gallery of rhinoplasty results, you will find several examples of similar patients who had the nose deprojected with reduction of the bridge while maintaining a very consistent look from the front. Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon