Can I Change my Saline Implants to Silicone Six Months After the Initial Procedure?

I had saline implants three months ago , Im planning to get them changed to silicone since I believe they look more natural and there is much less degree risk of rupture, and also Ive been told by a plastic surgeon that once you get silicone gel implants you dont have to get that surgery ever again , (unlike saline which you have to change every 10 years), is all this true?? Is it okay to have this kind of procedure 6 months after my first surgery?

Saline To Silicone

+3

You can change your saline implants to silicone implants at 6 months. I personally believe that silicone implants look and feel better in most women. Breast implants(saline and silicone)are medical devices and not designed nor should they be reported to last forever. They may and will break down over time. If that happens you will have to talk to your surgeon about options that are available to you.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Saline vs. Silicone Breast Implant Deflation

+2

The risk of breast implant deflation for saline and silicone implants is the same as reported by most breast implant manufacturers. The lifespan of saline and silicone breast implants are also the same. Saline and silicone breast implants can feel different and look different depending on the amount of native breast tissue present.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Implant Exchange from Saline to Silicone Safe

+1

Yes, you can change your implants safely after 6 months from Saline to silicone Breast Implants. However, few if any board certified plastic surgeons will tell you that your breast implants will last forever. I would recommend seeking a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic surgery and ask the pros and cons of Saline versus Silicone gel implants.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast surgery revision

+1

It should be no problem to undergo the revisionary surgery at this point. However, you should be aware that all the risks associated with saline breast implants are the same with silicone gel implants (with the possible exception of rippling potential).

Saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more natural result.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants. Also, many saline implants can be adjusted after surgery. The doctor can use a syringe to put in more liquid or take it out. The size of standard pre-filled silicone implants cannot be changed.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Breast Implants

+1

At 6 months you could have the surgery. I always caution my patients that just because you can, does not mean you should. If you have excessive rippling, or are unhappy with the appearance of your implants, or you are unhappy with the feel, you should seek the face-to-face advice of a board certified plastic surgeon. Make certain that you discuss all of the risks, as well as the benefits of any procedure with your surgeon. As stated before, nothing lasts forever and you will eventually have to replace implants no matter what the style, type, or manufacturer. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation silicone

+1

I would say that most of the information you have posted is incorrect. Visually there isn't much difference between saline and silicone unless you have visible rippling with salines. Smooth silicone implants have less rippling than saline implants. The leak rate is about the same and there is no guarantee that you won't need another surgery with silicone or saline sometime in the future. But you can switch them to silicone after six months if you like. I think the main reason to switch is if you have visible rippling or if you can feel the saline bag through your breast tissue and you want to have a more natural feel.

David E. Kim, MD

Silicone implants

+1

While you certainly can have saline exchanged for silicone implants ( as long as you are at least 22 years old) there is still a risk with silicone implants that they will need to be changed just like the risks with saline.

Replacement of saline implants with silicone implants

+1

It is possible to change from saline to silicone implants, but silicone implants do not guarantee you will not need any additional surgery in the future. Silicone implants may feel more natural but with any type of breast augmentation there is a risk of complications such as capsular contracture or rupture which require revisional surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Silicone implants can leak

+1

Hi Vanevane,

Silicone implants can leak and some patients prefer to remove a leaking silicone implant.  Unless your surgeon is talking about form stable "gummy bear" silicone implants, I think that statement is a little broad.  I would ask some questions to clarify that statement.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Implant exchange surgery

+1

Its OK to proceed with your implant exchange surgery.  However, no implants last forever - saline or silicone.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your implant options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS