Should I Change my Nose or my Chin? (photo)

My face is masculine - I am insecure about it and wish it was more symmetrical - do you think that enhancing my chin would be enough to improve my face or do you think a nose job to create a symmetrical face would help more? would the change be very noticeable after surgery?

Nose or chin, or both?

+1

I do not think that your chin requires surgery.  The chin appears weak in proportion to your nose which, I agree, is too strong for your face.  I would propose beginning with rhinoplasty to create a more feminine, softer nose.  In your case, rhinoplasty would produce a dramatic improvement.

Chin enhancement and/or nose job

+1

There are several options available for this type of scenario.  A rhinoplasty (nose job) will reduce the overall projection of the nose and can be done as a stand-alone procedure under general anesthesia.  The chin implant can also be performed as a stand-along procedure, but under a local anesthesia.  A weak chin profile will always make the nose look more prominent.  Only the chin implant can give it better facial balance and make the nose look less projected.  A third option would be to perform both a rhinoplasty and a chin implant simultaneously for facial balance.  This will also make the nose look more symmetrical and give projection to the chin.  Please refer to the link below for an example.

Chin augmentation and rhinoplasty

+1
Chin augmentation and rhinoplasty are two great procedures to do together. The key to aesthetically pleasing and well balanced features is to have the nose and chin harmonious to your over all bone structure. A good computer imaging analysis which I provide to my patients during the consulting phase allows the patient to see the proposed surgical result prior to the surgery. This allows the discussion with the patient of a good surgical plan and makes sure you are both on the same agreement of the desired result.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal shape defines and compliments your facial features

+1

your facial proportions overall are harmonious

consider starting with your nose - go to an experienced nasal surgeon who understands facial proportions, and what constitutes an aesthetically pleasing nose. discuss your desires, take suggestions from the surgeon, then proceed to computer imaging. 

a feminine nose is a great place to start in pursuing your goal of a more feminine and aesthetically pleasing facial image. reshaping of the nose, when performed in proportion to your features, will have a dramatic effect 

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Surgery with Implant or Rhinoplasty for Large Nose

+1

A common question by plastic surgery patients. A small chin can make the nose appear larger or more masculine. One may augment the chin by placing a silicone implant and/or perform rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the nose.

To help you with your decision, a plastic surgeon will perform computer simulation with your photographs to visualize possible results with cosmetic surgery. It's difficult to provide a more specific answer based on the information provided. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a cosmetic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer imaging to help decide between rhinoplasty and chin augmentation.

+1

The best way to answer that question is with the use of computer imaging. Have images done with either the rhinoplasty and chin augmentation done separately and then done together. Seeing is believing so to speak. My guess would be that the rhinoplasty will make a bigger difference than chin augmentation and be more effective in creating a more feminine appearance.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD