Can I Change my Breast Implant from Being over the Muscle to Under the Muscle?

I have breast implants over my muscle and I want to chane them to being under my muscle

Breast Augmentation

+1

Yes, you can convert the pocket to a dual plane as described below. The muscle coverage will allow thicker tissue coverage over your implants, which affords some advantages.  Seventeen percent of my augmentations are done with a dual-plane approach to lift breast tissue, elevate the nipple-areolar complex, and release a tight breast crease. This is technically a breast enlargement procedure—I call it the “internal lift.” It creates a breast pocket above and below the muscle (hence the term “dual”) where an implant is inserted. By releasing the breast attachments on top of the muscle, the breast slides upward around the implant. This technique avoids the more extensive scars of an external lift, and can be especially useful in fixing early sagging.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can I Change my Breast Implant frm over the Muscle to Under the Muscle?Answer:

+1

yes but remember a few things. It is not any easy operation to do and there is the risk that the implants will flip back around to the above muscle space! And it depends too on the condition of your skin because some women will need a skin tightening procedure (breast lift) after the change. And they move different when you flex your chest muscles!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Changing Breast Implants to Submuscular/ Dual Plane Position

+1

It is possible to change breast implants that are above the muscle (subglandular) to below the pectoral muscle.  A "below the muscle" placement today is usually what is referred to as  "dual plane", meaning that the upper potion is below the pectoral muscle and the lower portion is below the breast gland. Having more cover over your implant usually provides a more natural result. and allows for a clearer quality mammogram.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

+1

YES! But it is another full operation with the healing times and recovery. Check with your surgeon or seek in person opinions from other boarded PSs in your area. 

Moving implants to a submuscular pocket

+1

There some distinct advantages to having implants in a partial submuscular or subpectoral pocket.  One of the more common reasons why patients elect to have implants placed under the muscle is the decreased incidence of superior pole rippling or wrinkling.  When implants are moved from a subglandular pocket (over the muscle) to a pocket under the muscle, some special suturing techniques are often required to prevent the implants from displacing into the old pocket.  Also, if there is excessive skin, a breast lift may also become necessary.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Implant pocket

+1

Certainly if you want to change the pocket location of implants it should be possible. I do this all the time in patients that have rippling and are over the muscle.

Changing implant position

+1

The easy answer is yes. But the surgery may be more difficult than the original since the two pockets must be surgically isolated from each other to prevent the implant from displacing from the new position into the old. Also, you have to ask yourself what you have to gain and what you have to lose. Breast augmentation with implants is an imperfect procedure and you have to be able to accept certain shortcomings of the procedure. Discuss this carefully with your surgeon. Otherwise you can be "Chasing the Imperfections."

Robin T.W. Yuan, M..d.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Implant Position Change?

+1

Generally, it is possible to replace implants under the pectoralis muscle (dual plane).  However, the major issue of concern is the overlying breast tissue and skin and whether further surgery will be necessary to achieve the aesthetic  results desired.  For example, some patients who have implants replaced into the sub pectoral space may benefit from breast lifting to achieve the desired goals.

In the event of capsular  contracture or severe breast implant rippling replacing implants in the sub muscle position is the best way to go in my opinion.  This may or may not be possible depending on your specific situation.

This type of surgery does require some level of experience. It would behoove you to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed in revisionary breast surgery.