Can I Change my Almond Shaped Eyes to a More Down Turned Look?

Is there a procedure in which I can change my almond shaped eyes to a more slightly down turned look? If so, what is the name of the procedure? Thank you.

Almond Eyelid Surgery

+1

This type of request to "change almond shaped eyes to a more slightly down turned look" is unusual. Is this to reverse a surgical procedure that you have had done? Many people come to me to have almond shaped eyes (and not the other way around). Almond eyes, or exotic eyes, are slightly turned up in the outer corners, making them beautifully balanced. with a soft and welcoming shape. Almond eyes are youthful, boasting confidence.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Already Almond

+1

Ethnicity and culture often play a huge factor regarding socially acceptable eye shapes.  If you have an Asian background, you may not appreciate your medial canthal fold (skin fold near the nose) or perhaps the way your levator palpebrae muscle attaches to your upper tarsal plate (this helps defines upper eyelid creases).  Perhaps you feel that there is just too much fullness (fat) of your lateral lid (outside lid)?

Well, the Polar Bear, Sad Eye, or Round Eye look is generally not as attractive as the beautiful curvatures of your Almond Eye.  If fact, inferior scleral show or ectropion (lower eyelid pull-down) is best avoided altogether!  The senile (old), droopy eye look is not very pretty either.  In fact, oculoplastic canthoplasty and canthopexy procedures are very useful surgical techniques to avoid an overly Round Eye. 

Old Chinese Proverb say: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Robert A. Shumway, MD, FACS

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Almond eye change to round eye.

+1

Almond eye change to  round eye is not a good idea. We plastic surgeons view this as a complication of bad surgery not an improvement on what God did. No surgery for you, please.

+1

A picture, or better yet, a personal examination would be very helpful.  I am not sure you really want what you are asking for since it can look unnatural, but perhaps there is something else that could be done.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Canthoplasty/Canthopexy

+1

The terms used for changing the shape of the eye is canthoplasty/canthopexy [depending on the subtleties of the procedure]. It is best to use these techniques for reconstructive purposes. You should be forewared that a significant number of patients do not like the results of these surgeries done for cosmetic purposes, as the results are often not natural looking.

Make this decision very carefully.

If you post photos, we may give you a better idea of whether you are a good candidate for surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon