Not Possible to Change Your Bite with Invisalign?

I would like my orthodontist to change my bite back to the way it used to be. He says that nature has moved my teeth to its proper place and by moving my bottom teeth, that would only worsen my bite. I think he is not trying to address my concerns as the bite he is giving me is pushing my lower jaw back which is uncomfortable. Thoughts?

Voice your concerns!

+1

When you are being treated by any health care professional, it is important that you feel you are able to communicate your feelings with that professional and that you are being heard. The purpose of any type of orthodontic tooth movement is not only to achieve nice esthetics but more importantly to provide an accurate, comfortable bite. If you are feeling that your teeth are being moved into an uncomfortable position as a result of the orthodontic treatment, it is imperative that you voice your concerns to your orthodontist and equally as important for your orthodontist to attempt to address those concerns. Sometimes during orthodontic tooth movement, your bite will feel worse

before it gets better so it may be that you have to get through the uncomfortable period to get to a more normal feeling position. However, if the discomfort persists and you are nearing the end of your treatment, you may need to have an alternate treatment plan devised by the orthodontist. Feeling that your lower jaw is being pushed back too far is a valid concern that needs to be discussed and addressed.

New York Orthodontist

Second opinions are valuable

+1

Every doctor has their own set of skill, care and judgement. It is not unusual to have people get 2nd and 3rd opinions until you are comfortable with your decision. Some offices give no charge 2nd opinions, but even if there is a fee it may be worth it.

Without seeing you it is hard to determine what would work and what is best. Generally speaking Invisalign is limited in bite changes. There will be SOME with the teeth being in new positions, but drastic shifts can be very challenging or impossible.

As a rule, if something is uncomfortable, don't do it. There will be some discomfort during treatment, but if the bite is changing to a position that you feel is bad, then it likely IS.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.