No Change After Mini-facelift (5mo Post)?

I'm a 45yo female, wanting to resolve jowling. A preferred surgeon advised against fillers suggesting a mini facelift would be best. I proceeded with the mini. Now at 5 mo. post-op, I shared sided by side before/after photos with my friends and none of them can tell the difference between the photos. Nothing has changed following my facelift although my surgeon says otherwise, she is "now" suggesting "fillers" around my jowl area! Any advice on how I should proceed?

Difficult to comment without photos

+2

Based on the information you have given, it sounds like you need to visit your Plastic Surgeon to discuss your surgery, and compare before and after photos.  If you are still not happy, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a second opinion. 

Minifacelift - No Results at 5 Months

+2

Jowling, depending upon the degree preop, may be more optimally improved with a greater degree of undermining and SMAS suspension.  This is difficult to determine based upon your description. 

I make minimal scars but maximal undermining to create maximum skin removal and lift, while supporting the SMAS.  Everyone will have a different technique.  If you are dissatisfied, find the plastic surgeon who has the best credentials and who has performed hundreds of facelifts.

Difficult to Comment Without Photos

+2

It is difficult to comment on the effectiveness of a procedure without before and after photos. Your friends may not be the best people to discuss this matter with.  There are complex psychological factors that can go into a friends opinion that may not be objective.  I recommend you sit down with your surgeon and review your photos carefully.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift

+2

From your age and your complain ("jowls" ) you were maybe a candidate for a "less invasive" facelift procedure. "Mini Facelift" is a lay term and can be a a small skin excision or a more extensive operation. We both do not know what was really done. But you do not have the result you wanted !

A skilled and experienced Plastic Surgeon  adjusts the procedure to the patients age, problems and expectations. Without knowing how your procedure was done, how you looked before and now after surgery it is difficult for me to give you  my opinion or advice.

Nevertheless try to find a Surgeon in your community with an excellent reputation  with face lifts and go for a consultation. Make sure you let him/her know what you expect and ask questions, questions...

From your description and my experience I probably would advise you against fillers in the jowl area. It would not meet your expectations !

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Mini facelift options vs. Ulthera in Los Angeles

+1

You may consider an Ulthera to tighten the lower face in conjunction with some facial fillers. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mini-facelift and result

+1

WIthout seeing pre and post-op photos it is difficult to comment. However, I will often tell patients that fillers or fat injections may be needed to fill the deflated face and this may be a maintenance procedure especially when filler products like perlane/juvederm/ restylane are used.

+1

Dear LTF,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you need a full facelift. there are definite limitations on what a mini facelift can do vs. a full. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeron.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

You may need revision surgery

+1

Even though you are still healing under your skin (it can take a full year for the muscles underneath to keep elevating up), at 5 months out if you are not seeing any changes then there is a high chance you need a revision face lift. It sounds like this is not a problem of some residual extra skin (this can happen often and is easily remedied) but an issue with the fat, muscles and fibrous tissue under the skin. It may be that a Mini Lift may not have been sufficient for your needs and a more extensive face lift would produce more changes.

The fillers can help hide the creases that jowls form but will not improve the jowls themselves.

Keep working with your surgeon and see what will work the best for your case!

Kamran Jafri, MD

Mini face/neck lifts should make a dramatic difference or redoing the procedure is needed.

+1

The new mini face/neck lift make such a dramatic and natural improvement that it is not possible not to see a big difference unless you need liposuction of the jowls or a redoing of the facelift.  Be sure to get it done under local anesthesia and expect to pay roughly $6000 for the facelift or $2500 for the lipo. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No Results After Mini Facelift

+1

It is difficult to assess the success of your procedure without pictures.  Although, friends are very adept at evaluating your looks, they are sometimes not the best critics for evaluating before and after pics, for a number of personal/psychological reasons.  I would suggest reviewing your results with your current surgeon, and if you do not receive satisfaction, then I suggest following up with a board certified surgeon who performs these procedures frequently with good experience in dealing with revisions.   Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon