Has Anyone Heard of a Botox Allergy That Develops over Time? I've Noticed Allergy-like Symptoms After my Last 3 Treatments.

I've been getting Botox 3x/yr in my glabella area for a decade. I've never had any issues, however, after my last 3 treatments I've developed allergy-like symptoms ~8-12 hrs after the injections. My nose runs, I have post nasal drip and my throat is itchy and slightly swollen. I take 2 Benadryl and the symptoms lessen and subside within a day. I'm concerned that this may get more serious as time goes on and would like to know what could be happening - any advice would be appreciated!

Botox Allergy

+2

Hi CS.  We are familiar with a Botox allergic reaction, but not exactly like the one you describe.  One of our nurses that was using Botox too frequently (every month) developed a resistance to it and now gets hives and redness at the injection site immediately after.  Unfortunately, we have tried Dysport, Myobloc and Xeomin and the response is exactly the same.  She is unable to have injections.

Botox Allergy

+1

Botox allergy can develop over time you can switch to Dysport. Flu like symptoms are not caused by Botox

Jhonny Salomon, MD

These may simply be described BOTOX side effects rather than an actual allergy.

+1

It is possible to be allergic to BOTOX or the non-active ingredients in the product but it is quite rare.  On the other hand, what you are describing does appear to fit into the side effect profile of the drug.  I would discuss your symptoms with your injecting physician.  You need to decide for yourself if the benefts of the drug are worth the side effects you experience.