What Are the Chances of Webbing Being Corrected with Scar Massage?

My PS is having me do scar massage with Flucinonide cream. Is there a time limit on having lumpy scars injected?

Webbing post bleph

+1

This may be corrected with massage and waiting a period of time is not inappropriate.You should see some improvement in a few months and if not perhaps a z plasty may need to be done.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pub Med

+1

In general many scars can improve with local care over time.  This can take many months. 

Ask your surgeon about the possible treatment alterantives with the postential benefits and risks.  Once you have this information you can decide how to proceed.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery and Webbing

+1

Though not very common, webbing in the inner (medial) part of the eye does happen in some patients healing from an upper eyelid lift. More often than not it is the result of the scar line contracting and creating a tense scar. The best treatment for this is the hardest one for a patient to accept. Massage and patience are the best prescription. This WILL improve in time and massage will help things along. Steroid creams may and may not help. I would not recommend an injection with steroids in your case though when the scar is very thick this can be an option. It must, however, be used very sparingly. I do not recommend any type of revision surgery for this problem because the revisions usually require more scarring than the web itself. 

If you can be patients and allow a few months to go by you will probably be pleased in the end. Keep massaging and allowing time to pass. Your patience will likely be rewarded.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Be patient with the webbing

+1

I would be very cautious using steroid cream in this area and would not recommend steroid injection.  It could cause your skin or the fat under your skin to thin.  Massage and time should help.  You may also consider wearing a little silicone scar pad on this area while you sleep.  You could tape it in place.  That may speed up the scar maturation process.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Webs!

+1

Dear Kristina, while webbing is very frustrating immediately after blepharoplasty, the good news is with massage, time and patience they generally get much much better in a few months. Occasionally your surgeon may elect to inject steroid into them to speed the process along, although there are some risks involved that you should discuss first. Generally, if you are going to get injected I feel that they should do it when the scar is somewhat active still. Good luck!!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

Webbing of the medial canthus.

+1

This will probably resolve with massage and time. Be patient and definitely no surgery for 1 year.

Eyelid webbing

+1

Hi Kristina,

Webbing can be difficult to improve.  Massage may help in the initial healing period.  Injectable scar medication can help as well.  Surgery is an option too, but your expectation have to be realistic.  You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon