What Are Chances of Repeat Problems After Seroma and Infection Lead to Explant?

Lift with aug one month ago. Ended up with drainage from seroma and infection. He put me on cipro, inserted drain. 5 days later my implant was exposed where drain was inserted. Now I have one implant, will have to wait for revision. What are chances of another complication like this?

+1

What Are Chances of Repeat Problems After Seroma and Infection Lead to Explant? I am not sure that there are any accurate statistics available for this. I am sure it is increased from the baseline of 0.5%.

Seroma after breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult to predict whether or not this will or could happen again.  Once the implant is removed, you need to wait 3-6 months to undergo additional surgery.

Seroma after breast augmentation

+1

It's hard to predict the chance that you could have another complication like this, but in general this is very rare.  If your implant was actually infected, then you should wait at least 3 months prior to having a new one placed.  This is disappointing for both the patient and surgeon, but it provides the best chance of eradicating the infection and decreasing the risk of future complications.  Good luck and best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Chance of further implant problems

+1

I would completely agree with Dr. Aldea's comments.  The situation you present is rare so more needs to be known about exactly what was done and by whom to say what the risks are of further problems.  Please send more details.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Disappointing Result after a Breast Augmentation

+1

Your question cannot be answered without more information. The likelihood of seromas with a first time breast augmentation is VERY small. The likelihood of a drain causing implant exposure is even smaller.

To be able to predict the likelihood of your revision surgery ending with this or other complications, many questions would need to be answered such as
- was your surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (www.PlasticSurgerty.org)?
- are you a smoker?
- are you a diabetic or have other medical problems that may impact wound healing?
- was this your FIRST Breast augmentation or a re-do?
- was it combined with a breast lift?
- what access incision was used to place the implants?
- WHERE was the procedure done - hospital or doctor's procedure room?

The answers to these may greatly predict future complications.