What Are my Chances of Needing a Body Lift? I Got a Lap Band At 300 lbs

I am a 30 year old woman. I have been overweight for most of my adult life. I didn't become morbidly obese until my pregnancy at age 25. During my pregnancy, I gained so much weight, but do not have any abdominal stretch marks. I went from 200 to almost 300 pounds during this pregnancy and just underwent lap band surgery on Aug 19 of 2011 and have already lost 34lbs. So, with all this information, what are my chances of needing a body lift?

Timing of a body lift after lap band?

+1

Great job!! I would wait for 6 months of weight stability before you have surgical procedures. Loose all the weight you can first before you make the decision to have a body lift. Unfortunately there is no effective non-surgical method.  However, a body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your hips are raised and defined and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. I would do the body lift first, then stage procedures every 4-6 months. Healing time is 2-4 weeks. The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon

Skin Condition After Massive Weight Loss

+1
Dear Meadowbear8, You are fortunate to have come through pregnancy and a 100 lb weight gain without stretch marks. You may have better skin elasticity than most. If you lose 100-150 lbs you will likely have lots of stretched out skin that does not spring back. If you do there are procedures that can be tailored to your specific body and preferences to get you your best outcome. If your skin springs back you will be luckier than most. Iwish you good luck!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Aesthetic Surgery After Lap Band

+1

Most patients who undergo a lap band procedure will benefit from various procedures (body lift, arm lift, thigh lift, breast lift, etc.) after they reach their target weights.  Not all patients who have lap bands performed undergo massive weight loss, however.  If there is a support group for patients that your bariatric surgeon has operated upon, it would probably be good for you to speak with someone who has achieved their desired weight loss and had some of these other procedures performed.

John Whitt, MD

Need a Body Lift?

+1

Congratulations on your successful lap band surgery and your commitment to weight loss and healthy lifestyle.

Unfortunately,  given that you will probably end up losing almost half of your body weight  (at least 120 pounds),  it is most likely that you will have  “loose sagging skin”.  Also unfortunately this excess skin does tend to be a reminder of the previous history of obesity even when you reached your goal weights.

There are a variety of plastic surgical procedures designed to eliminate the excess skin when you are closer to your stable weight ( you may find the link below helpful).

At that point it would behoove  you to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Congratulations again!

Chances of body lift after weight loss

+1

There are several things to consider when trying to predict a body lift after weight loss. The elasticity of the skin is important, the length of time you were significantly over weight, the amount of weight you plan to lose. You might also consider the possibility of future pregnancy. Keep losing and remember that despite a lap band, serious lifestyle changes will be needed to be a success.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Likelihood of needing Body Contouring Surgery after Weight Loss will Depend on Goals and Amount of Weight Lost

+1

Hi there-

Without knowing your height and how much weight you are likely to lose, it would be close to impossible to say whether you are likley to want or need body contouring surgery after your weight loss...

On the other hand, what I can comfortably tell you is that if it is safe to assume you wish to lose the weight you gained with your pregnancy and possibly a bit more (>100 lbs), and that you are within the average height range for women in the United States, I would say that after this weight loss you are very likely to have a large amount of loose, excess skin in various areas of your body that you will want to have improved. 

I would not fret about this at this point- on the contrary- you should be happy with yourself for advancing deliberately in a positive direction and initiating your weight loss. This can only benefit your life in the future.

Once your weight has stabilized (you have stopped losing), visit a reputable, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in Body Contouring surgery for a recommendation.

Congratulations on your healthier future!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Will I Need A Body Lift?

+1

Dear Meadowbear8,  Thank you for your question.  There are two pieces of information that you left out that would help us better address your question.  First, what is your height?  Second, what is your target weight; that is, the weight you want to finish at when you have finished all of your weight loss.  Once you have completed your weight loss, if your skin is not capable of shrinking to match the lost weight, then you will be left with some excess loose skin which most likely will require surgical removal to match your goals.  Unfortunately, there is no exercise or non-surgical treatment that can achieve the level of skin tightening you probably will require.  Whether you will need a body lift or an abdominoplasty(tummy tuck) alone depends on how much your tissues will shrink and will also require the guidance and advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck with your weight loss and don't forget to add in an exercise program as you lose your weight.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon