Are There Any Chances of Lipoma Turning to Cancer?

Lipoma is a BENIGN Tumor

+1

As a rule TRUE lipomas are benign masses which do not become cancerous. Although it is extremely remotely possible, I have NEVER seen or heard of it.

Lipoma

+1

Any thing is possible but the chances are extremly low. the reason we take out lipomas is to get a pathology exam and make sure the lipoma is benign and not malignant.

Lipoma Turning to Cancer?

+1

The chances of a lipoma turning into anything is extremely rare.  There is a cancer called a liposarcoma than mimics how a lipoma is, but it is very rare, and acts a little differently then a lipoma.  Also, it usually does not arise from an exisiting lipoma, but is something that starts out already as a cancer.  I do not know the exact rates, but  Iam sure that it is less than 0.1%.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon