What Are Chances of Keloids After Medial Canthus Surgery for a 17-yrs Girl if Not Prone to Keloids

chances of keloids after Asian medial canthus surgery for a 17-yrs girl if she is not prone to keloids

Medial epicanthoplasty and asian blepharoplasty: avoiding keloid scars

+1

It is all in the technique and procedure that is used. Traditional procedures that have been used for medial epicanthoplasty lead to a lot of scarring. I would learn to find out what the surgeon does and ask them how they avoid scarring and I would look at their before and afters.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medial epicanthoplasty scars

+1

When the medial epicanthoplasty is done well, the scars are difficult to see. Keloid is not frequent, although it can occur if there is a problem during the wound healing phase. It's more common in smokers.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian Epicanthoplasty

+1

Asian medial canthus surgery or epicanthoplasty to make the eyes look larger is popular but must be done with caution.  Please consult with a board certified specialist in Asian eyelid surgery who can assist and guide you as to what is most appropriate to achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

No not have medial canthal surgery!!!!

+1

I do not care how talented your surgeon.  You are taking a huge risk having your inside fold taken to an outside fold with medial canthal surgery.  Even if you do not develop a keloid, this is an area that does not like to heal perfectly.  The residual scar can be very obvious for many, many years.  How will you feel about this kind of result?  Do yourself and your surgeon a favor and do not have this at the time of double fold surgery.

Keloids in the Asian Face

+1

Your chances of a true "keloid" is very slim, however, there is some chance of a visible scar.  This depends on how your perform the epicanthoplasty or medial canthus surgery.   This procedure is common in my practice so my first comment to you would be, more so than a keloid, you could have an incision that could be visible for a few weeks to a few months.  This depends on:

1.  Do you have a darker complextion vs. fair/pale?  If so your chances of visible scar are slightly higher

2.  Is your skin thicker than average?  If so, chances are slightly higher.

3.  How heavy and big is this fold?  

The incisions can often be planned in such a way that they are less visible or hidden.   Are you having this done along with an upper eyelid blepharoplasty?

Medial canthoplasty or epicanthoplasty incision are made so many different ways and should be tailored to the patient.  It's hard to describe them with text.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon