Chances of Keloid Scarring from Rhinoplasty?

I am considering having Rhinoplasty however I am a bit concerned as I have 1 small keloid scar on my ear and I am worried about keloids developing from the Rhinoplasty.

My keloid is about the size of a small pea at the top of my ear, it developed from having my ear re-pierced in the same spot. I have had steroid injections to reduce the size, its the only keloid scar I have. I had acne on my back and no keloids from that. I am a caucasian, 21 year old girl. What are the chances?

Keloid formation after rhinoplasty

+4

In 15 years of practice, we have never seen a keloid from an open rhinoplasty incision that was carefully closed in our practice. 

That doesn't mean it is impossible, and it is always important to follow up with the surgeon carefully to spot signs of trouble early.

Risk of keloid after rhinoplasty

+3

I have personally never seen a keloid scar form after a rhinoplasty. I have also never heard of a keloid from an external incision. This should not be a deterrent to surgery.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid formation is rare with closed rhinoplasty

+2

The chance of forming a keloid from a rhinoplasty is nearly impossible from a closed rhinoplasty incision. There is a small chance it could occur from an open rhinoplasty incision when the incision is made across the columella. I would definitely recommend a closed rhinoplasty procedure whereby all the incisions are placed inside the nose. The skin lining on the inside of the nose is different than the ear and is not susceptible to keloid formation, especially in Caucasians.

Keloid after rhinoplasty

+2

I have never seen a keloid after a rhinoplasty and I do almost all of mine open. I also was at a national meeting with an audience of at least 500 plastic surgeons and the speaker asked all in the audience if anyone had ever seen a keloid in the "central third of the face." Nobody raised their hand.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Slim to zero chance of keloids from Rhinoplasty

+2

Slim to none on the chances of developing this. Because you're caucasian, your scar is likely to be what we call a hypertrophic scar (on your ear). That likely happened as a result of two piercings. I would go for it on the nose if you were my patient. As a patient, you should be fairly reassured with all of the collective experience that everyone has reported.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Keloid scars never occur on the nose after rhinoplasty

+2

I know this is a strong statement, however I have never seen one in over 20 years of practice nor heard of a keloid appearing on the nose. The central face seems to be a privileged area. Keloids don't form on the nose and eyelids.

One way to avoid any chance of scars is to have a rhinoplasty through the intranasal or closed approach. I prefer this technique for 90% of primary rhinoplasties in my practice.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty & Keloid Scarring

+1

If a closed rhinoplasty procedure can be performed to reach your desired rhinoplasty result, then keloid scarring will not be a concern. Keloid scarring from an open rhinoplasty is also pretty rare. I recommend you find a facial plastic surgeon who is well versed in performing African American rhinoplasty to ensure the best result with the least amount of scarring.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Keloid surgery and rhinoplasty

+1

Keloids can occur anywhere, as I have seen in my practice.  Having said that, preplanning for your rhinoplasty can mitigate the risks and help you obtain excellent results.  I would post treat closely. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and keloid scar

+1

In most cases rhinoplasty can be be performed via incisions inside the nostrils without any external scar.  In this case keloid scars would not be an issue.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Keloid Scarring after Rhinoplasty

+1

Keloids may occur on the ears. After 30+ years of rhinoplasty surgery, I have never seen a keloid with either the intranasal or external approach (an incision through the columellar skin). Never say never, but I would confidently recommend you proceed with surgery.