Chances of Jaw Relapsing Due to Subsequent Rhinoplasty

Nearly two years ago, I had corrective jaw surgery (a maxillary advancement). Just four days ago I had a septorhinoplasty to correct the re-deviation of my septum that resulted from the jaw surgery. The cosmetic changes were mostly to fix the result of a squash racquet to the nose. I was wondering whether the trauma of the surgery could cause a relapse in my jaw, because my bite feels a bit funny, and my upper lip is all out of whack. Is it just swelling or could it be something sinister?

Jaw Changes After Nasal Surgery

+2

Although not discussed often, changes in sensation of the jaw and lip are common after septoplasty and rhinoplasty.  The reason for this is the nerves to the lip and front most part of the upper jaw travel through the base of the nose and are often traumatized during the surgery.  This will not effect teeth position or movement of the lip and generally resolves in a few weeks.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw changes

+1

Rhinoplasty will not change your maxillary advancement. These sensory changes are normal post rhinoplasty but may be more prolonged in recovery because of the previous maxillary surgery

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw

+1

I seriously doubt that anything will happen to your maxillary advancement. Most of what you feel is post op swelling and discomfort. Just be patient with the healing process.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD