Chances of Add'l Surgery Within 5 Years - Silicone Vs Saline? I Am Having Surgery Soon.

Info on Mentor silicone implants scared me. I don't want repeated surgeries (I understand risks and complication factors). In general, if surgery goes well and recovery is normal, what are changes for repeated surgery within 5 years and does it make any difference if it is saline or silicone? Mine will be under the muscle. THX !

Silicone vs. saline implants: chances of revisional surgery

Revisional surgery can be needed for a number of reasons including patient dissatisfaction with shape/size, capsular contracture, infection etc. Capsular contracture rate depends on implant factors (surface of the implant - smooth or textured), early problems such as bleeding or subclinical infection and position of implant (under the muscle or just under the gland tissue). So to answer your question, the content of the implant does not directly influence the rate of revisional surgery. However the content is important in other ways such as the feel of the implant and the length of the incision.

Lastly, just for your information, silicone implants have been shown to be perfectly safe all over the world and even saline implants have a silicone coating.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon