Is There a Chance That a Second Surgery Can Fix my Congenital Ptosis?

Im 22 yrs old, and I have congenital ptosis in my left eye and I've gone through surgery to try and fix it. My surgeon went under my eyelid and tightened the muscle. Unfortunately, it didn't help. If I do a second surgery, this time, with a different procedure, such as the external levator resection, is there a chance that this different procedure can fix it? With congenital ptosis, is it better to try and shorten the eyelid muscle rather than tighten it?

+2

A lot of what you are asking depends on your examination.  If you have good levator function, it is reasonable to try a levator resection which should help raise your eyelid.  However, with congenital ptosis, it is common to get incomplete closure of your eye, depending on the level of your levator function.  All these factors need to be addressed with your surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

There are different ways to fix the ptosis

+1

With congenital ptosis there are different ways to fix the ptosis. It depends on how much movement is in the muscle to determine whether you should tighten the muscle. An external levator resection is a commonly done procedure and usually works well for congenital ptosis.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Re-op congenital ptosis

+1

It is not uncommon to need revision after ptosis surgery- congenital or not.  You are likely a candidate for re-operation and the technique depends on the amount of levator function you have.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeo.  Good luck!

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

If the eyelid has good excursion, chances of improvement are good.

+1

Dear San Diego

In your lifetime, it is not unusual for congenital ptosis repairs to be revised numerous times.  The most common posterior ptosis surgery is the conjunctival Muellerectomy ptosis repair.  The most common anterior ptosis repair is an anterior levator resection ptosis surgery.  Both approaches have a definite percentage that require revision.  The anterior approach is more complicated as associated with a higher revision rate.  Therefore, it often makes sense to go with the posterior approach when indicated.  Shortening the muscle vs tightening the muscle is semantics.  We tighten the muscle by shortening it.

Congenital Ptosis Repair depends on the amount of function of the levator muscle

+1

The most important variable in ptosis surgery is the degree of function of the levator muscle.  After this has been established, then other important issues are assessed; such as, the nature of the ptosis and prior surgeries.  This determines what procedure is used to correct your eyelid.  You will need an evaluation by someone who performs ptosis correction frequently.  In Southern California there are several well qualified physicians, but I can recommend Dr. Hisham Seify in Newport given his additional training in oculopastics.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon