Chance of State Insurance Covering Reconstruction After Masectomy?

I had a partial masectomy from a large lump that was in my breast. I did not need any further treatment afterward. It was diagnosed as an infected cyst instead of a suspected phyllodes tumor that runs in my family. I have state insurance which covered the masectomy but do I have good chance to get coverage for the reconstruction? I was already approved for a consultation, but not sure if I can get my hopes up. My right breast has is less than 1/4 the size of the left and I have no feeling

Insurance Covers Post Mastectomy Reconstruction

+1

Your description would certainly fall under the category of breast reconstruction. Therefore I think you have a high likelihood that your State Insurance would cover your partial mastectomy reconstruction.

Mastectomy Reconstruction Should be Covered

+1

Based on a 1998 Federal law that mandates post-mastectomy breast reconstruction insurance coverage, your reconstruction should be covered by your insurance.   Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lumpectomy defect treatment coverage depends on your policy

+1

You'll need to review your carrier's policy manual on this. The federal legislation that mandates coverage of breast reconstruction, the WHCRA Act, does not include partial mastectomy in it's language. Different insurers have different positions on whether you would be considered covered for this.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Coverage for breast reconstruction

+1

There is no real way to give you an accurate answer to this question as it will vary from state to state.  Continue with the consultation process and in this way you will get an answer as to coverage for breast reconstruction.