Can Capsular Contracture Be Fixed with Smaller Implants and a Skin Graft?

I'm suffering from pain due to capsular contracture in one breast. I've had 2 surgeries already-1st implants were saline, 2nd are silicone gummies. It's been 1.5 years since my last surgery and I've been to see my surgeon with concerns. He says I need to continue massaging it and see how it is in another 12 months. I'm not satisfied with that answer and would like to know what the possibility is of replacing them with smaller implants and using skin grafting on the outer layer of implant? Is there a certified plastic surgeon who can fix my capsular contracture?

+1

Skin grafts are not an acceptable form of treatment for capsular contracture but use of cadaveric skin within the implant pocket called Acellular Dermal Matrix has been reported to be associated with a lower risk but can be as costly as the implants.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Capsular contracture and repair

+1

A capsular contracture can be corrected by removing all or some of the capsule, perhaps changing the pocket or using a different type of implants, and there are some recommending not a skin graft but using alloderm which is a type of skin from cadaver.

Correcting recurrent Breast Implant Scarring (Capsular Contracture) is Very Challenging

+1

Regarding - "I'm suffering from pain due to capsular contracture in one breast. I've had 2 surgeries already-1st implants were saline, 2nd are silicone gummies. It's been 1.5 years since my last surgery ... would like to know what the possibility is of replacing them with smaller implants and using skin grafting on the outer layer of implant?"

It sounds like you have the worst form of breast implant scarring (capsular contracture) - Baker IV class (painful scar). The problem is that thee is no one sure way of correcting severe capsular contracture except for removing the implants. Ordinarily the options would be : cutting through the scar and releasing it (Capsulotomy), removing the scar (Capsulectomy) in pert or fully or removing the implants. There is evidence that removing the scar tissue and replacing it with a skin matrix (Alloderm, Strattice) delays or stops the recurrence of the process. None of these reports are long enough to be convincing much less scientificially valid.

Smaller implants will not help.

+1

I would suggest to remove the implants and wait 3-6 months and then try either new set of implants or fat grafting. I have done more than 50 patients that were tired of implants and had multiple surgeries. I have removed their implants and performed fat grafting . You can check my web site for pictures.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Correction of Capsular Contracture

+1

Some cases of capsular contracture are very difficult to correct such as yours.  Rather than a skin graft which cannot be burried beneath the skin, you might benefit from incorporated a dermal matrix (such as AlloDerm) into the capsule.  However, the cost of the product is significant.