Certifications to Look for in a Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

Hi Docs. HELP, I’m lost in the vast sea of certifications. I need to have a Revision Rhinoplasty and recently, I consulted with a plastic surgeon that was certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery (no other certifications).

Is this the norm? Generally, what type of certification(s) should I be expecting a plastic surgeon to have?

Proper board certification for revision rhinoplasty

+3

You're right to research the board certification of your potential revision rhinoplasty surgeon. As a starting point, you'd want someone who is certified by either the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS), American Board of Plastic Surgery, or American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.

That being said there's more to it than certifications. You would want a surgeon with extensive experience with revision rhinoplasty and with producing good long term results. Also, look at before and after photographs of their work to see if you agree with their overall aesthetic. There is a wide variation in surgical styles and aesthetic preferences among surgeons so you would want to chose one who is a good match with your tastes. 

You don't want a "General Surgeon"

+3

A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or a Board Certified Otolaryngologist who specializes in Facial Palstic Surgery are what you need. But far beyond that, you need a surgeon who does a significant amount of revision rhinoplasty not just primary rhinoplasty since secondary surgery is so much more difficult in this setting.

If you cannot find someone in Atlanta who qualifies in this regard, I would strongly encourage you to go to Dallas and visit with Dr. Cochran (who's answer is just ahead of this one) and his partner Dr. Gunter. You won't find anyone better. Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty Specialist

+3

Rhinoplasty can be performed by either Plastic Surgeons or Ear, Nose, & Throat (Otolaryngology) Surgeons. Regardless of your surgeon's specialy, it is important to find a surgeon who is Board Certified in either of these two specialities specifically. Because rhinoplasty is considered one of the most difficult cosmetic surgery procedures, not all plastic surgeons and ENT surgeons routinely perform rhinoplasty.

Secondary (Revision) Rhinoplasty is much more complex that primary (first-time) rhinoplasty and requires significantly more expertise. Therefore, if you have had a prior nose job, you should seek a qualified revision rhinoplasty expert.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery Certifications

+2

The short answer to your question is to look for someone who is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the American Board of Plastic Surgery, or the American Board of Otolaryngology.

The long answer is that you may find someone who has the appropriate certification and has poor experience with revision rhinoplasty anyway. You may be able to find a surgeon with lots of Rhinoplasty experience, but not one of the above certifications; however, those given certainly give you the best chance.

Certification is a good place to start, but make sure that you find someone who has lots of experience with revision rhinoplasty. Make sure to ask how many revisions they do and show you results of their patients. Get several opinions. It will become clear whether a surgeon has experience of not when you compare different surgeons knowledge.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Just certified in General Surgery is NOT the norm!

+1

There are bunches of certifications Look for a surgeon that is board certified in Plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery.  These two branches of surgery have multiple pathways to get there.  Plastic surgeons usually start off in general surgery and then do a fellowship in plastic surgery.  Facial plastic surgeons usually start off in Otolaryngology and Head/Neck Surgery and then do a fellowship in facial plastic surgery.  Find someone of these two backgrounds and then do further research.  Ask to see pics.  Ask for imaging.  Ask for references.  Check to see that they operate in an accredited facility!  There's a few things to ask.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon in Los Angeles

+1

I would start out with board certification in plastic surgery or ENT.  Otherwise, you have to choose a surgeon who understands your needs and works in an accredited surgery center.   Rhinoplasty requires patience and meticulous attention to detail.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Choosing a Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

When choosing a revision rhinoplasty surgeon there are several things you should look for.

1) Board Certification- There are several types of board certifications that an experienced revision rhinolasty surgeon may have. This is either from the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery or the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Many Facial plastic surgeons are also board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery.  This is a plus. However, this being said, board certification is not enough. 

2) Are they experienced in revision rhinoplasty- Rhinoplasty is a very complicated procedure and revision rhinoplasty is even more challenging. There are facial plastic surgeons and plastic surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty. Be sure that your surgeon has significant experience in revision rhinoplasty and performs this frequently. Ask them how many revision rhinoplasties they perform a year.  Be sure to see before and after photos of their own patients with similar issues that you have.

3) Comfort level- Do you feel comfortable with your surgeon. Did they explain to you what they plan on doing and discuss the goals and expectations of surgery with you? Are you on the same page?  I always recommend that go to several consultations in order to become better informed and choose the surgeon that you feel most comfortable with.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Desired Certifications in Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Be careful. I would not recommend you undergo a revision rhinoplasty by someone who is only board certified in General Surgery. Revision rhinoplasty is arguably the most challenging plastic surgery operation to perform. Because of this, you need to seek out a plastic surgeon who has documented experience in this particular operation. Experience in performing primary rhinoplasty (no prior surgery of the nose) is not even sufficient in my opinion. Your best best is to look for someone who is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and who dedicates a large portion of his practice to revision rhinoplasty. Alternatively, there are some plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who have dedicated experience in this very difficult procedure. Make sure to see plenty of photo examples of whoever you choose as your surgeon. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Make sure your surgeon is Board Certified by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very complicated procedure that should only be undertaken by adequately trained surgeons.  I would verify qualifications prior to my consultation and look at any before and after photos on the web by that surgeon.  Make sure your surgeon is Board Certified by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology or The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Consider a surgeon who is certified by multiple boards listed above.  Good luck.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon for a revision rhinoplasty

+1

Keep in mind that a revision rhinoplasty can be more challenging than the initial procedure. For this reason, it is essential that you only work with a plastic surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Also make sure that they have great deal of experience in rhinoplasty and advanced revision rhinoplasty techniques. When discussing your surgery be sure that you understand the different techniques that they are planning to use and how they will come together to achieve your surgical goal.

Pat Pazmino, MD