Ceramic Braces Vs. Metal Braces

should I get ceramic or metal braces? I am 22 and my case is not complicated. I have a midsize gap between my left canine and mollar. I also have small gaps in my bottom teeth. I dont know what to use. please help me choose.

Metal Braces versus Ceramic - no difference except for cost

+1

In terms of effectiveness, there is no difference between the metal and ceramic braces. They will both take the same amount of time and have the same result. The only difference may be the cost. Some offices charge more for Ceramic (tooth colored) braces.

Being 22 years old, you may want to go with the clear braces if the cost is not significantly higher. Metal braces always make people look younger. You could also consider Invisalign but then the cost will often be significantly higher.

Akron Orthodontist

Ceramic brackets are similar to metal braces

+1

The effects are nearly identical, but ceramics are NOT as strong as metal, and edges can chip or break.  If you don't care about the look of metal brackets, I would suggest THAT, but if you REALLY want ceramic you should be fine.  They both use the same kind of forces and movements.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Metal versus ceramic

+1

Ceramic braces are clear-colored brackets that are more esthetic than metal brackets. Ceramic braces tend to me a little bit more expensive than metal brackets. They both work efficiently to straighten teeth.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Ceramic and metal brackets are both effective

+1

In general, ceramic and metal brackets are designed very similarly in order to work in basically the same ways.  Ceramics tend to be a bit thicker in order to give them strength, but patients adapt quickly to this.  Treatment may go a bit faster with metal brackets as they tend to have less friction which is important when closing spaces. 

You may also want to ask your orthodontist if they use self-ligating brackets.  They come in both ceramic and metal varieties and make for shorter treatment time and shorter appointments.

One thing to consider is if you have a deep overbite, many orthodontists will not place ceramic brackets on your lower teeth as they can cause potential damage as the upper teeth bite against them.  So they will place ceramic on the upper and metal on the lower.  This combination looks fine and works quite well.

The main two things to consider is cost and how you want to look.  If you want the "clear" look and don't mind a little extra cost...go for it!

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist