Ceramic Braces for Poor Occlusion? (photo)

I am a 19 year-old female who already had braces as a teenager. However, in the time since I've had my braces off (2+ years), my jawbone has grown, resulting in malocclusion. How severe (mild/moderate/severe) is this issue? Only my very back teeth touch when I bite down. Can ceramic braces be used to correct this? How LONG would it take to do so? My orthodontist said surgery is not necessary. What would be the best method (and the least noticeable?)

CERAMIC BRACES FOR POOR OCCLUSION?

+1

I am an orthodontist and we don't see a lot of cases have the bite open up this much after a "successful" orthodontic treatment.  IF the bite was good when you finished your previous treatment I would be looking very carefully to try to figure out WHY this bite is opening up this much.   The first place i would look is at the mandibular condyles  in the TMJ to see if they look like there have been arthritic changes that are visible since the treatment was completed two years ago. (compare current panoramic x-ray to a panoramic x-ray from two years ago).

If there appears to be any differences I would have a cone beam CT scan taken and look at the condyles in 3D view to look for arthritic changes.  I would be more likely to suspect loss of bone at the condyles than to attribute it to "jaw growth"'.  There is something called "idiopathic condylar resorption" that can cause bite changes like this.  Ceramic braces would be fine but best try to find out the cause of the problem first.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Occlusion fix

+1

Hi

From what I can tell from your pictures, you certainly seem to have had a supraeruption (upward growth) of your last molars. Do you know if they were lined up at the end of your treatment? What kind of retainers did yo have? Did they cover your last molars?

This might be fixable without having to place any braces on any of your front teeth. You should discuss your options with your orthodontist.

Vijay Bhagia, DMD, MS, Space Center Orthodontics, Houston TX

Houston Orthodontist