I'm Looking into Chin Augmentation, Would You Recommend Implant or Filler? (photo)

I'm looking into chin augmentation and I am considering either an implant or filler. I'm also thinking of corrective jaw surgery as a possibility. My situation is I'm in graduate school right now so my recovery time would have to be quick. I'd be open to having something more permanent done next summer when I have a couple months with no classes, work, etc. Any advice? Would filler be able to give me a stronger chin/jaw that I could test out? Has corrective jaw surgery ever helped?

I'm Looking into Chin Augmentation, Would You Recommend Implant or Filler?

+1

I have used both fillers (I prefer Perlane or Radiesse) or chin Implants many times over the past 25 years.  Fillers will last about 9-12 months and need to be repeated.  Chin Implants are permanent.

Chin augmentation

+1

Filler is a temporary option for patients who want to augment the chin without having a surgical procedure. But it will not yield nearly as good of a result as a surgical implant. I would recommend a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. The morphed image that is generated can also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon, and allow you to make suggestions to him or her so you may obtain the best possible outcome. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

A chin implant is a permanent solution that produces predictable effects.  Radiesse to help augment bony prominences can be used as a temporary aid.  However, the degree of augmentation will not be as profound.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin augmentation

+1

I can see no cause to use injectible fillers as they create more soft tissue. What is needed is a bone substitute such as a preformed silastic implant. The down time after implanting one (especially when wearing short facial hair) could be 3 to 7 days. If you wish not to have surgery now, simply grow a bigger beard. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

chin implant for permanent results

+1
 We do not recommend fillers placed in the chin area. A Silastic chin implant  is placed under local anesthesia through a submental approach to give more definition and projection to the chin.  The procedure takes proximally one hour and expect approximately one week of some degree of swelling and bruising after the surgery.

Chin Augmentation

+1

If you are seeking to achieve chin augmentation now with minimal downtime, it sounds like you would benefit from having a hyaluronic acid filler put in first so that you can see what it would look like (computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like as well).  You could then follow this up with a permanent chin implant next summer after the filler has gone away (or it can be dissolved prior to your surgery).  Please know that fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid (such as Juvederm or Restylane) can be reversed prior to your surgery but others will not be and may be problematic if you are seeking surgery prior to their dissolution.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD