Do you think my abdomen will flatten out 6 weeks after my tummy tuck? (photo)

I had my tummy tuck about 6 1/2 weeks ago. The area just above my pubic area where the flap of skin was removed is flat. But above that I have an obvious step. My surgeon said this would even up, but it has not. I had lipo in this area and I'd love to think this is just swelling, but it sure feels like fat. Do you think in the next few weeks my upper abdomen will flatten at all? I'm 48 and had big babies, and my highest weight was 255.

Do you think my abdomen will flatten out 6 weeks after my tummy tuck?

+1
You are still in the healing phase.  It takes weeks to months to recovery from tummy tuck surgery.  Discuss this with your surgeon as he knows what was repaired at surgery, and should be able to answer your question.

Bulging after surgery

+1
This would need to be discussed as to what elements were repaired at surgery.  Fat, skin, and muscle are all part of a full tummy tuck procedure.  If a diastasis was not fully repaired, the shape can be compromised.  Also, if one is not within 10 lbs of their ideal body weight the intraabdominal contents can dictate the final tummy shape regardless of the repair.  Your surgeon can assist you in understanding these elements.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Bulging abdomen after tummy tuck

+1
An important part of a full tummy tuck involves tightening the muscles in the mid and upper abdomen. These muscles stretch after having children and can be tightened during a tummy tuck. Your plastic surgeon may not have been able to completely tighten these muscles due to various factors--- such as your pre- procedure weight. Discuss this  with your plastic surgeon. He may be able to offer options to flatten out your tummy.

Steven M. Katz, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon