Would I Be a Good Candidate for a Full TT or Mini Tuck?

Hi, I'm a mother of 2 & soon to be mother of 3 in March. I have been looking into having my tummy fixed since it lost its muscle tone. I'm 25 my height is 5'1 & I'm always around 95-100lbs right after having two of my kids. I always been a petite person but having two kids & one on the way has done some damage to my tummy. My stomach has lose skin but not so much fat, it's mainly just the kangaroo pouch that I have & I am not sure which rocedure would be good enough for my body type?

Would I need a mini or a full TT?

+2

Congratulations on your pregnancy.Your abdomen will continue to change during the rest of your pregnancy so you really need to consider a TT only after you have been examined after several months following your delivery But in all likelihood you will need a full TT. Good luck!

Full or mini tumy tuck

+2

The procedures you need are best determined at a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, although we could better help with some photos from the front and the side with your tummy relaxed. Most of the time I do full tummy tucks to get a better result. Best of luck!

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Post-pregnancy tummy tuck

+2

It sounds like a problem with your muscle anatomy or tone. This occurs due to the stretching of the abdominal muscles during pregnancy. Any tummy tuck should take your specific muscle anatomy and your specific goals in mind. It might be that only a muscle tightening procedure needs to be done, or a muscle tightening in conjunction with some skin tightening. I always try to customize the procedure to fit the individual patient. The only way to do this is with a face-to-face consultation.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Full vs. Mini tummy tuck depends upon muscles and skin of whole abdomen.

+2

Hi.  This is a great question that I get asked a lot during consultations.  A tummy-tuck (abdominoplasty) can remove loose skin of the abdomen, and also tighten any stretched muscles that can occur following pregnancy, weight changes, etc. 

A 'full' tummy-tuck addresses the skin and muscles of the entire abdomen (above and below belly-button), while a 'mini' only addresses the skin and muscles below the belly-button.  Which one is 'right' for you can be determined more easily during a consultation - which should address the skin quality/laxity of the upper and lower abdomen, as well as the degree of laxity/looseness - or stretch -  of the muscles above and below the belly button.  If the entire abodmen is loose, then a full is recommended, but if only the lower skin and muscles are affecteded, then a mini will give you the flat abdomen you may desire. 

Lastly, sometimes only addressing the lower portion of the abdomen -  when the upper portion should also have been corrected, can cause the upper abdomen to appear to have a bulge and not be as flat as desired.  Hope this help.  Good luck.

Joseph D. Alkon, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

A Full TT or Mini Tuck?

+2

Without an exam or at least some photos, my answer is not worth much and is just a general one. 

A tummy tuck is usually done to remove excess skin and accompanying fat and to tighten the abdominal wall which has been stretched out by pregnancy or weight change. 

Usually the changes involve the entire abdomen. A mini-TT just corrects the abdomen below the navel,, and it is uncommon that this is a suitable choice. Only an in person exam can determine the best option.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Mini or full tummy tuck

+1

Without any pictures , it is difficult to ascertain whether you are a candidate for a full or mini TT. However, a person of your description could be a candidate for a mini TT if you do not have excessive skin laxity . You would need a consultation to ascertain how much excess kin you actually have. Furthermore, you may have separation of your abdominal muscles which would  be plicated at the time of surgery

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck almost every time

+1

Mini tummy tucks deliver "mini" results. They always look weird. They pull the belly button downward, leave the same abdominal scar as a full tummy tuck, and they "ignore" the upper abdomen completely which leaves a "bulge" in the upper abdomen because no plication sutures are placed in the upper abdomen.  These importance differences are not seen with a fully or standard abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon and you will be fine. 

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Full or Mini tummy tuck?

+1

The decision about the type of abdominoplasty required is based more on skin and muscle than on fat.

If there is wide separation of the abdominal muscles, as is likely in a small framed woman after 3 pregnancies, then a full abdominoplasty will likely be required. If there is redundant skin,  especially draping over the belly button, then a full abdominoplasty will likely be required.

After you have recovered from this pregnancy, go see a board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best approach.

Good luck!

Dr. Gorman

William H. Gorman, MD

Mini-abdominoplasty is seldom indicated.

+1

A mini-tummy tuck is only indicated when the redundant skin is limited to the area between the pubis and umbilicus.  This is seldom the situation after pregnancy where skin over the entire abdomen should be addressed.

Abdominoplasty or Mini Abdominoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question. it is difficult if not impossible to give advise that is somewhat specific to your condition without pictures and/or an in-person exam. An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) will help to correct stretching of the skin and tighten the abdominal wall musculature, changes typical of pregnancy and significant weight loss, for the whole of the abdominal region. A mini-abdominoplasty will only correct these changes below the umbilicus ( belly button). It would be best if you would consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person examination for a more accurate opinion.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD