How Close to Goal Should I Be for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I know from reading on this site that it can vary, so I'm hoping to get a more personal answer here. I am a 32 year old mother of 4 (4 big babies in 5 1/2 years!), I am 5'3", and have maintained at 138-140 for the last year after losing 25 pounds postpartum. I'm a little bit unmotivated to work hard to get toned because I have so much flabby skin that would cover those results anyway. I am about a year out from being ready for my surgery, and I would eventually like to be around 125-129.

Ideal weight for a mommy makeover

+2

Good Afternoon!

In my practice, I tell patients that I do not wish to perform a MM when they are well above their ideal weight, but I do not want to work on the m when they are at their lightest- no one ever maintains that. If you feel that you are within 10 lbs of the weight you feel in your heart you can realistically maintain, I say you are a good candidate for a MM.

I hope this helps

Mommy makeover

+2

Watching your pics and i can realize now is the perfect time for having your mommy makeover done, so you don't need losing additional pounds. You are ready for having surgery! 

Manuel Diaz, MD

What weight is best before mommy makeover

+1

Before undergoing extensive body contouring surgery, a mommy makeover, your weight should be stable for at least 6 months.  Also, if undergoing a tummy tuck, you will need to be finished with child bearing, REALLY FINISHED!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Go for it!!

+1

Based on your photos and your description, you could be all set to go for your mommy makeover.  First step:  visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to start learning more about your options.

Best wishes!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

You May Be Ready

+1

If you are happy with your arms, legs, and your problem area is only abdomen and hips, then you may be ready! 

Judith M. Gurley, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Goal weight before body contouring surgery

+1
Congrats!  Overall, I tell my patients to split the difference when it comes to weight loss prior to most body contouring procedures.  Therefore, based upon your numbers, I would recommend about approximately 5 pounds more.  Based on your photos, I don't think there would be a substantial difference with the weight loss or not.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+1

In general, I usually recommend that patients be at a stable weight for 6-9 months before a makeover.  Significant weight changes after surgery can lead to poor aesthetic results.  Not everyone is made to be 125lbs.  You need to be comfortable at your weight and forsee being able to stay there.  It is important to have a consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon regarding your procedure.

Jarrod Little, MD

You look like good candidate for tummy tuck right now.

+1

Hi.

Your weight looks normal, and the flabby skin will only be corrected by surgery.  So, no reason to wait.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Goal Weight Prior to Mommy Make Over?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I think you should be very proud of what you have “accomplished” after 4 pregnancies. At this point, I do not think that you necessarily have to lose additional weight to achieve the best results possible with “mommy makeover” surgery.

The most important decision will be selection of plastic surgeon;  do your due diligence carefully and make sure you're working with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation, achieve their goals.

A few words of advice, I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery, may also be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Good candidate for tummy tuck

+1

Based on your photos, you appear to a good candidate for a tummy tuck. The excess skin of your lower abdomen will be addressed nicely with this procedure. Your body weight is ok for a tummy tuck, you do not need to lose any more weight. You may not even need any liposuction during your tummy tuck. I can't comment on your breasts without a photo, as this is typically part of a "mommy makeover".

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination to get a more complete evaluation.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD