Off-centered and Assymetrical Nose After 6 Weeks, Will It Keep Changing? (photo)

I had a nose job 5 weeks ago to remove a hump. Since day one my nose has looked off-centered and crooked because the right side of my bridge looks bulkier and my nostrils are completely asymmetrical. I must add that before the surgery the front look of my nose was completely straight and my nostrils were ok. My doctor told me I have to wait and that it is still swollen. I was prepared for the swelling of my nose, but not for the asymmetries it's showing now, and I'worried it will stay that way.

Asymmetry of nose

+1

I see the asymmetry, but it would be helpful to see the preop photos. Often times patients have alot of asymmetry before surgery that quite often they do not appreaciate until after surgery.

Crooked

+1

After looking at your pictures, i think you are correct. But, you must let thi s nose heal before any surgical correction is done

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

The crooked nose

+1
A preoperative photograph would certainly be helpful so that I had more of a sense of what was done during your specific rhinoplasty.  It appears that both the bony and cartilagenous portions of the nose are leaning toward the right with a dorsal "C" shape deformity.  It is possible that the osteotomies used to fracture the nose were performed asymmetrically.  It is also possible that there is an underlying septal deviation which is causing your nose to lean towards the right.  Although swelling can lead to the appearance of a crooked and asymmetric nose I am not certain that even when the swelling subsides the nose will appear straight.  I would give it a few more months but, if it still appears crooked, you may want to discuss that with your surgeon.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric nostril

+1

Your nose does appear deviated. Sometimes removal of a hump does unmask a deviation which was not seen before and then is apparent once the covering hump is gone. As the swelling goes down you may need to discuss this with your surgeon. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery, nasal assymetries

+1

Nasal surgery continues to be very difficult and unpredictable for surgeons and patients alike.  It is always  appropriate for surgeons to tell patients that the final result won't be seen for 6 to 12 months, and your nose may be no exception..  Your surgeon will always be the best person to ask about your healing.  Did you have the nasal bones broken,and if so are you compressing your nasal bones on a routine basis every day?

Continue with your followup with your Plastic Surgeon and good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Nasal Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

Septoplasty, osteotomies, significant lowering of the dorsum, and other rhinoplasty interventions may result in post-surgical asymmetry.  Swelling alone may create asymmetry.  Your marginal reflex distance between pupil and upper eyelid ciliary margin is diminished.  Unsure whether this is levator dehiscence, but your surgeon may be able to improve that situation if you so desire.

Steve Laverson, MD

Results

+1

Though I cannot completely evaluate your results from just two photo's, it does appear that you have some asymmetry and possibly malalignment in your post-op photographs.  Your swelling will improve but it is difficult to say what your final asymmetries will be or not be.  The problem is that unfortunately, to reoperate now would create greater surgical difficulites in predicting an outcome. Surgeons would prefer for all swelling to resolve before reoperating. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Early Rhinoplsty Asymmetry

+1

Do you have a pre-op picture?  In this case your nose will continue to change and maybe for the better.  I would give it another month or so.  If it's not evolving into a better picture then revisit your surgeon or get another opinion. 

Be patient, it will change but 4 to 6 more weeks should be enough to give you a look at the more permanent look.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon