Nose Tip Centering Methods?

Can the nose tip be moved or centered with a method other than Rhinoplasty (tiplasty)? For example, there is a non-invasive/minimally-invasive thread technique that works like an otoplasty on ears, and offers zero downtime. Can something like this be used on the nose cartilage?

Tip rhinoplasty

+1

The tip of the nose cannot be centered in a permanent fashion with zero downtime. I mention permanent, because fillers can be used to camouflage a deviated tip in certain patients for the life of the filler. Often the tip is deviated because the underlying cartilages are asymmetric or the septum is not in the midline and is pulling the tip cartilages to the side. I am not a fan of placing camouflaging grafts in the nasal tip unless the native cartilages are not adequate for some reason. Over time grafts in the nasal tip often become visible and lead to a poor result. They can look good for even 2-3 years, but then slowly over time become visible. If fillers do not appeal to you or if they are not an option following a consultation, I would recommend either forgoing correction or accepting that a little down-time will be necessary in order to achieve a life-time of improvement. A fair trade in my opinion.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty; Can It Be Done Non-Surgically?

+1

Hi Mbalta,

The maneuvers that you are asking about, particularly the no down time aspects are only available on a computer imager. Unfortunately, there is not a non-surgical rhinoplasty method that effectively addresses your concerns.

Be well.

Dr. P

Correcting a deviated tip can be done in different ways

+1

Depending on your specific problem, there may be more minimally invasive techniques for tip medialization. Obviously, a complete corrective rhinoplasty will provide the most comprehensive cosmetic improvement. Besides a Rhinoplasty, other options include:

• Patients with septal deviations that influence the tip position can have significant improvements in tip position from septoplasty alone.
  • Patients with developmental facial asymmetry can have significant improvements from a surgical technique I developed called Foundation Rhinopalsty, which includes septal correction and 2-3 cartilage grafts that help to provide a more symmetric foundation for the nasal tip. It is usually done endonasally, or closed, and results in only a few days of bruising and swelling.
  • If you are looking for something even more minimally invasive without any downtime at all, then fillers can be used. I place the fillers in the same places that I graft during foundation rhinoplasty surgery. FIllers provide only temporary correction of the nasal deviation, but can at least give you some relief, as well as an idea about how the surgical procedure would make you look.

Good luck.

Here's a link that explains the foundation rhinoplasty concept in a little more detail.

http://www.newyorknose.com/images/FoundationRhinoplasty.pdf

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.