Will Weight Loss Make Cellulite Worse?

I have cellulite on my thighs and I also need to lose 10 pounds to be fit, my concern is will weight loss actually make my cellulite worse than before? is there any reasearch that suggests losing weight will make cellulite worse?

Cellulite worse or better after weight loss

+2

Many people note that their cellulite looks less visible after weight loss. As they gain weight, there is distension of the fatty tissue pushing upwards and the skin pulls on the fibers that vertically or diagonally hold the skin down to the underlying muscle creating a mattress-like button effect.

Weight can effect cellulite

+1

Some feel as though weight loss may make the cellulite appear more than normal. It would be best to learn more about Cellulaze, the first long-lasting cellulite reduction procedure. Consult with your surgeon to find out if you are a good candidate for Cellulaze.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Weight changes and cellulitis

+1

Weight changes can affect cellulite in different ways for different patients.  To treat your cellulite, you may want to consider cellulaze.

Cellulaze is a FDA approved one time treatment that utilizes a 1440 nm wavelength laser to accomplish 3 things:  1) melt away fat bulging out 2) break up fibrous septae (attachments) that create the indentations and 3) help thicken the dermis (skin) to prevent future recurrence.   The procedure can take between 60-90 minutes and can be completed under local or just IV sedation (depending on the length of your procedure and number of areas being treated). To see your final results takes between 3-6 months. You can visit the cellulaze . com website to learn more about the procedure and find a plastic surgeon who performs the procedure near you. Best of luck!
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight Loss and Cellulite

+1
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, weight loss can make cellulite more pronounced or worse. I would suggest Cellulaze to reduce your cellulite. Cellulaze is the only minimally invasive laser procedure designed to attack the structure of cellulite beneath your skin. Cellulaze is backed by many years of clinical research. Studies have shown it increases the thickness of your skin by 25% and the elasticity of your skin by 29%—significant claims that haven't been made by any other treatments. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Cellulite is due to intemittant thinning of the skin dermis leading to fat bulges

+1

Cellulite is due to intemittant thinning of the skin dermis leading to fat bulges. It has very little to due with the weight of a person. Even very highly toned female atheletes have cellulite. Losing weight will reduce the amount of fat under the skin and usually make the skin look better.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight loss and cellulite

+1

While there is no research, clinically I would say that the appearance of cellulite might well be worse after weight loss.  All you can do is lose the weight and see.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS