Cellulite - Will Liposculpture Make It Worse?

I have had cellulite for the past seven years yet am not overweight (55kg, 165cm), eat well and live a healthy lifestyle. I have been considering tumescent liposculpture for thigh reshaping but have heard this may make my cellulite worse. I am extremely confused by the various conflicting professional and paraprofessional opinions I have received about this issue. What can I do, or what is the best option, to help reduce the cellulite in addition to liposculpture for reshaping my thighs?

How liposcupture or liposuction effects cellulite

+3

Liposuction or liposculpture usually doesn't effect cellulite one way or another, provided it's not done too close to the skin's surface or on a patient with sagging or inelastic skin.  

Cellulite exists closer to the surface of the skin, and usually liposuction is done at a deeper level to effectively contour the body.  Surgeons experienced in liposculpture will avoid going too close to the skin's surface so as to avoid creating dents, ripples and other issues which can occur when a cannula gets too close to the skin's surface. 

A patients' skin elasticity is a factor as well.  If the skin is stretched out or inelastic (which a good surgeon will point out beforehand when discussing procedure risks), skin may be slightly looser after liposuction and therefore more prone to sagging or cellulite. 

Lipo affect cellulite?

+1

Liposuction will not affect cellulite. Cellulite is caused by bands of tissue that attach to the understructure of your skin. The fat resides between these bands much like a honeycomb.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Treatment of cellulite and liposuction - Los Angeles

+1

There is no reason why liposculpture would worsen cellulite.  There are reports of laser liposuction worsening the cellulite as it may cause inadvertent tightening of the fascial bands that produce cellulite. Stick with tumescent traditional liposuction. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cellulite not helped by Liposculpture or liposuction

+1

Cellulite is  not helped by Liposculpture or liposuction and in some cases can be made worse. Cellulaze is probably the most effective way at present to help with this vexing problem.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Careful body sculpting and use of a cellulite canula during the procedure can improve both your contour and cellulite.

+1

In skilled hands it is possible to get good improvement in both the contour of your body and areas of cellulite.  There is also a new Cellulase Laser from Cynosure that may be of some help with the cellulite areas.  Cellulite fibrous bands can be treated with a special cannula as part of the liposuction procedure.   If the skin has good integrity, this can be quite effective. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and Cellulite?

+1

“Cellulite"  refers to irregularities that occurred on the surface of the skin. Liposuction will not cure cellulite; If well performed on a patient with elasticity and should not pick it worse either. Liposuction surgery is designed to   remove fat and improve contours.  Patients with severe cases of cellulite  will not benefit from liposuction surgery and may require skin excision (for example  tummy tuck or thigh lifting)  to achieve the desired results.

I tell all my patients that liposuction is not a “perfect science” and complications can occur even in the best of hands.

Liposculpture can make cellulite worse

+1

Liposculpture can make cellulite worse. The bands under the skin that cause cellulite can be altered by the fat reduction or by changes to the bands themselves.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Liposculpture will not improve cellulite

+1

Unfortunately, liposculpture does not improve the appearance of cellulite.  Cellulite may temporarily look better in the few weeks after liposculpture (probably due to swelling), but it returns a few weeks later.

It would seem that a technique that removes fat would improve cellulite because cellulite results from fat pushing out against skin that is being bound down by fibrous cords; however, there is no improvement in real world experience.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellulite and Liposuction.

+1

Liposculpture is basically meticulous liposuction.  Hopefully all liposuction is done with a liposculpture detailed mentality.   Cellulite is not improved by any type of liposuction or liposculpture or laser liposuction or ultrasonic liposuction etc etc.  Usually cellulite is not worse or better but different in appearance slightly,  possible better or possible the same, or possible a little worse after any and all type of liposuction and the various elaborations of the word liposuction.  We are working on improving cellulite at Stanford and are making progress but have a ways to go before we are confidant and pleased with useful treatment.  Thanks,  Dr commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Will liposculpture improve cellulite

+1

Liposuction regardless of technique (ultrasonic, laser, water jet, power assisted, etc) is not a treatment of cellulite. IF you are lucky, you may see an improvement if your cellulite is due to excess fat but this is not typcially the case. It is more likely that you will continue to see persistent dimpling and cutaneous irregularities post-op. Also consider the fact that your cellulite could become worse if associated with lax skin