Will Cellulite on my Stomach Be Removed with Smartlipo?

Hi! I am 5'7 and 130lbs. All of my weight goes straight to my stomach and even though I am not very big I have a lot of cellulite on my stomach area. Can I expect the cellulite to go away with the smartlipo or will I just lose fat and none of the cellulite? The cellulite almost bothers me more than the fat so I'm hoping that this will help.

Smart Lipo - Does it Remove Cellulite, Fat, or Both?

+1

Although Smart Lipo has been widely touted to tighten the skin and correct cellulite, many plastic surgeons share my opinion that it is not much different than other forms of traditional liposuction. Obesity, cellulite, stretch marks, a history of constantly changing weight, or loose, sagging, inelastic skin, are problems which would tend toward poor results during a liposuction. In fact, these problems may be worsened by this procedure and may be best addressed by other surgeries such as a leg or body lift (e.g. tummy tuck) to improve your appearance.

Basically, cellulite may either come out worse, the same, or better after a Liposuction. It all depends on the outcome of the procedure, but you will definitely lose some fat.

Results can vary

+1

Cellulite is a difficult problem that we as physicians do not have wonderful treatments for. Smartlipo and liposuction can reliably remove fat and sculpt the body, but cellulite responds differently in different patients. Smartlipo is perhaps your best choice for improvement because the laser can vaporize and release many of the fibrous bands that contribute to cellulite thus creating a smoother texture.  

I would be careful about your expectations, however, expect some areas to improve, but some cellulite will likely remain.  Be happy with an overall improvement in your body shape after lipo or Smartlipo and then you can consider other treatments to further treat the cellulite such as thermage or other lasers.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon