Cellulaze with Sciton Laser. Is My Healing/Recovery Normal?

I had the cellulaze procedure done 5 weeks ago from today and I'm still sore and very sensitive and tender to the touch. I keep reading how there's little to no downtime, but I was in horrible pain the first 2 weeks, and continue to feel a considerable amount of soreness and tenderness. I'm still unable to run without pain, and even walking can be uncomfortable if I'm walking at a faster rate. I'm starting to get really worried. What's considered normal?

Cellulaze healing

+1

If you are still feeling slight pain and numbness this is normal. This is the typical healing process after having Cellulaze. Be sure to continue wearing the garment if necessary as well as taking it easy with exercising.

Cellulaze Recovery

+1

Thank you for your question. With the Cellulaze procedure, a very small cannula is inserted under the skin. Cynosure’s SideLaze laser fiber inside the tube delivers energy directly under the skin. A sciton laser is not used during Cellulaze. I would speak with your doctor about the specific treatment you received, and describe your side effects to him or her to determine if they are normal. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Cellulaze healing and Sciton laser

+1

It is difficult to answer your question because it appears that you may have had a different procedure than what is described for Cellulaze.  A Sciton laser was not part of the FDA approved study for treating cellulite.  Cellulaze is a specific laser manufactured by Cynosure.  Make sure you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Cellulaze with Sciton Laser

+1

It appears that you have had a cellulite procedure with the Sciton, not Cellulaze.  Sciton has come out with their version of the procedure, but it is not Cellulaze.  I would consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has experience with the Cellulaze procedure as he or she will be able to help you understand the healing process.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

5 weeks post treatment

+1

Greetings~

First and foremost, if you have worries or concerns about surgery or your recovery you should absolutely follow up with the surgeon that performed your procedure.  Cellulaze in manufactured by Cynosure, so if you believe you had a procedure done with a Sciton device, it was not Cellulaze.  Some patients do still have some swelling and soreness after 5 weeks but normal activities like walking shouldn't be problematic.  Follow up with your surgeon and see if they may have some recommendations for you based on your exam.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Clarifacation of the type of procedure you had done

+1

As mentioned, Cellulaze is the only FDA approved single treatment for cellulite.  All of the 3 studies perfomed on this with expected reactions and healing are based on Cellulaze treatment alone.  If you had something else, pleaswe have your doctor clarify exactly what you had and perhpas ask the question agian. Thanks

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes there are a subset of treated patients that can have your described issues. I believe around 15%. It could be based upon a few reasons: Inexperience of the surgeon, using higher energies to treat (in my case this is what I see), typical healing for this individual patient, or a combination. But what concerns me is the use of the Sciton Laser with the Cellulaze- this is a NON approved combination. 

Cellulaze treatment

+1

You mentioned that you had "Cellulaze with a Sciton laser".  I'm sorry, but the FDA approved Cellulaze does NOT utilize the Sciton laser.  Did you really have the Cellulaze procedure or some other laser procedure?  Please talk to your plastic surgeon who performed your procedure about your experience and concerns.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS