Cellulaze & Risk of Numbness And/or Seromas?

Cellulaze was just covered in the NY Times. I'm having it done by a plastic surgeon next week who's only done 4-5 Cellulaze treatments (but has over 20 years of experience with liposuction and has done some (not much) Smart Lipo). Do risks of seromas and numbness increase with a plastic surgeon who's worked less with the Cynosure equipment? A little nervous here.

Cellulaze experience

+3

Like any procedure, it is preferable to have it performed by someone with experience.  Since Cellulaze has only recently been FDA approved and become available, not many surgeons have performed the procedure frequently.  There is a learning curve to most procedures, and since cellulite varies in appearance, severity and location, fine-tuning the treatment for each patient is important.  I am performing at least 1-2 Cellulaze procedures every week, and the learning process never ends but just becomes more and more exciting as I learn what areas respond the best and how the technology can be used most effectively. 

The possible risk of complications usually lessens to a certain degree as the surgeon becomes more experienced, although nothing is completely risk-free. 

+3

Great question. I've done now 15 Cellulaze operations to date. By end of May I hope to have done over 20+. This is my opinion only. Yes I believe there is a very very high learning curve using the Cellulaze equipment. Especially if the doctor has not used the Smart Lipo Triplex platform for Smart Lipo previously. Understand Smart Lipo Triplex was released late 2010, the new 1440 nm wavelength was introduced at that time. Again in my personal opinion, this 1440 nm wavelength takes usage time to fully understand it's power and applications. Therefore, that is why I state the higher learning curve for non Smart Lipo Triplex users starting out with the Cellulaze operation. Regards Dr. B, MIAMI

Picking your cellulaze surgeon

+3

Congrats on making the decision to proceed with your procedure.  The risk of numbness and small tiny seromas is very low. It will be important to wear your compression garments after your procedure as per your surgeon's recommendations.  As long as your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, you should be in good hands!  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Cellulaze is a safe and effective procedure

+1
Thank you for your question. In regards to Cellulaze there should be no risk of seromas, you may experience minimal numbness which will eventually subside. After your procedure be sure to attend your regularly scheduled follow up appointments with your surgeon to see if you are healing properly.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Experience and side effects

+1

When a procedure or technology is new, clearly it is difficult to find a surgeon with a great deal of experience.  For a procedure such as Cellulaze, though the surgeon may not have vast experience with the particular technology, experience with Smart Lipo, traditional forms of liposuction and other laser procedures is absolutely helpful.  We've not had any issues with seromas.  Some numbness during the healing process is normal, as small nerve fibers are traumatized during the procedure regardless of the skill level of the surgeon.  It's normal to be nervous and good to be cautious and do your homework before selecting a surgeon.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Cellaze Risks and Experience of Surgeon Performing?

+1

As a general rule, you are usually better off having someone perform a procedure who has accumulated sufficient experience. That said, Cellulaze has only been recently FDA approved and introduced for use in the open market, so there are few surgeons that have a lot of experience. As with any procedure there is a learning curve. Cellulaze is actually a technological modification of the  SmartLipo laser liposuction probe, so anyone with significant experience with SmartLipo should be able to adopt the Cellulaze procedure fairly quickly and safely. 

In addition, Cynosure, the company selling the device, is only providing it to plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or surgeons who have significant SmartLipo experience. So for now at least, the device is only being provided to surgeons who are the most qualified to use it.

Experience does make a difference, and one should always be learning from their experience to understand how best apply the technology to each individuals specific circumstances. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze Treatment

+1
Cellulaze is a minimally invasive surgical procedure, therefore after the treatment there will be some swelling, a little soreness and some bruising. Cellulaze is a fairly new treatment, but as long as your doctor is board-certified and has completed his or her Cellulaze training, the treatment should go well. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD