Cell-enhanced Breast Reconstruction Post Lumpectomy?

What can you tell me about cell-enhanced reconstruction? Would you recommend this specific procedure for a woman who has undergone a lumpectomy and needs reconstruction?

Breast Reconstruction

+2

This procedure is one we do not offer and you are best checking into where this is done, and if university based, explore what the advantage is to this procedure.  Ask how many cases have been done, and the success rate, and the complication rate.

Web reference: http://elitemdspa.biz

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Stem cell enhanced fat for breast reconstruction

+2

Unfortunately, what is called "breast-conserving" treatment - lumpectomy and radiation - often leaves a deformed breast. The use of fat transfer is helpful in improving the results of reconstruction, and the use of adipose-derived stem cells (which come from the patient's own fat) is believed to improve the "take" of the fat when grafted, especially in breasts that have been radiated. However, there is also some concern that the stem cells may encourage cancer cells in the same way, though the question of whether this is clinically significant remains to be answered. No easy answer on this one until more research has been done.

Stem Cell ( Adult Fat Cell) Transplantation for Lumpectomy deformity

+2

You are looking into the future - Some day we will perform lumpectomies and replace the space with a stratice network or frame with your own stem cells derived from adult fat (  LIposuction) and close the defect.

Today, If you have a lumpectomy deformity and subsequent scarring post radiation - it is a good serial way to correct the deformity.  The tighter the scar matrix, the harder it is to get rid of the depression totally.  See a plastic surgeon and they can discuss their techniques for correction.,

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Stem cells and breast reconstruction

+2

This is a bit science fiction as of now. Yes, fat injections are being done to imrpve some contour irregulairties for breast reconstruction, but the whole "stem cell" movement is a bit in the early stages. Technically stem cells are found inter-mixed with the fat cells, and these cells may help to improve the outcome, but no one knows for sure. The science is still a bit lacking.

Post lumpectomy enhancements with fat and or stem cells

+2
This is an exciting new area of interest which is beginning to evolve. The potential benefits are exciting! Nevertheless I am hesitant to offer the injections into a breast following lumpectomy, axillary dissection and radiation therapy. Why? Annual mammograms which are often challenging to interpret may be more difficult. I feel that more long term follow up studies will be needed before I could perform this service outside of a clinical trial
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Cell enhanced is not required for the reconstruction

+2
There is a contiversy regarding the need for stem cell to increase the survival of the fat cells. I been using the fat cells for cosmetic breast enhancement and for reconstruction for 5 years without stem cell fortification There are other plastic surgeon that use fat cell without stem cell enhancements with great success like Dr. Khouri,Coleman and Rigottie.I been directing a teaching course on fat grafting for two Yeats now and you can check it at Fatgraftforum.com You can call my office for more info and check my web site for more information.
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+2

Stem Cell/PRP enhanced Fat grafts are the latest reconstruction option for you. I use the Adistem protocols with some additions I have found helpful. Dr Shureih is correct and best to consult with the expert in person. 

Stem cells

+2

If you are asking about STEM CELLS this is usually a fat transfer  procedure Fat contains lots of stem cells.There is a cJapanese company that has a mchine that claims it seperates stem cells and uses these cells for many purposes, that is still EXPERIMENTAL.

Fat transfer to the lumpectomy defect , and most probably radiated, is possible and has its benifits, the stem cells in the fat has a reparative effect on the radiated skin inury. Fat fills the defect. You will need about 5-6 sessions of fat transfer. If you elect fat transfer you need to understand the risks and benifits thoroughly before you embark on this. you also need to understand your other options available to you to correct the defect. (this is a two hour consultation, and may be multiple consultations before you decide).

As for STEM CELLS and fat transfer make sure your insurance covers the procedure, they may rule it is experimental and is not covered.

Cell-enhanced breast reconstruction post-lumpectomy?

+1
Fat grafting has become a popular procedure to improve aesthetic outcome following breast reconstruction or for improvement of contour after lumpectomy. Much of the newest research has investigated the properties of fat, in terms of its stem cell properties and associated advantages. It has significantly ameliorated radiation damage by increasing vascularity. Also, it adds additional "fatty tissue" atop the reconstructed breast mound to further contour any concavities or deformities, while also masking implant visibility with rippling and such.

At our Breast Reconstruction Center, we have utilizing this technique almost routinely to maximize the aesthetic outcomes after lumpectomy or mastectomy. We have utilized the micro-fat grafting technique, and have been obtaining maximal fat graft survival into the breast. After harvesting of the fat from areas with excess fat, usually the belly, hips, or thighs, the fat is processed and injected back into the breast using the aforementioned techniques. Our patients have been very happy with the results as well as the areas where the liposuction was performed. Contour has been much improved using the micro-fat grafting technique, and the downtime is minimal.

Fat grafting has become a mainstay in breast reconstruction and has added another edge to breast reconstruction for aesthetics with minimal morbidity and complications.
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon