Celebrity "Super Botox" - Why Can't We Get It?

Although I have been told that Botox cannot treat the wrinkles under the eyes that are caused by smiling, there seem to be actresses whose smiles do not create those wrinkles and I have to assume they have gotten some fabulous Botox injection that stops the top part of the cheek muscle from causing those wrinkles. Where do they get this "Super Botox" and how can I get it too?

Celebrity Botox

+3

Bravo! A doctor who knows what they are doing!

It is absolutely not correct to inject Botox into the lower crows feet muscle (the inferior obicularis oculi) because it can migrate into the smile muscle that lifts the mouth corner. If injected into that muscle, the zygomaticus major, it will prevent you from smiling. Those actresses (and many other smart women whith good dermatologists /plastic surgeons) are getting Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Sculptra, or Radiesse into the cheeks to expand the cheek and prevent it from crinkling as much with smiling.

Also, Photoshop is used to erase lines around the eyes when a person smiles in photographs. Beware thinking all that you see is real.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Be careful with under the eye Botox

+3

Nina, There is not a special Botox or "super Botox" for under the eye. You have to be very careful if you are going to have Botox injected in your lower lid/cheek region. A very minute amount will help with the smile wrinkles in the lower lid.

However, if the Botox seeps into the cheek area, then you may develop an asymmetric smile, which can be very distressing. If your doctor is hesitant about injecting you in this region, they are just trying to be safe. They know the dangers and they do not want to put you at risk. I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Botox for the Wrinkles Under the Eyes

+2

Hi Nina,

The lower eye lid muscles and upper cheek muscles can be injected with Botox, but it is a very advanced technique that should be done by a cosmetic physician with experience in this area. Very small amounts of Botox placed correctly will give that "actress" look that you are referring to. Michael Kane, MD in New York, Fredrick Brandt, MD in Miami, Arnold Klein, MD, and myself in Los Angeles can perform the treatment that you are asking about. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

There is no celebrity super Botox.

+1

Hi.

What you are probably seeing is the magic of air brushing and PhotoShop. As a generalization, celebrities tend to get worse than average care.

Tiny amounts of Botox very skillfully injected can soften lower eyelid lines.

Also tiny amounts of superficially injected fat transfer can smooth the lower lids, but this is extremely technique sensitive, and it is easy to get lumps.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Super Botox or Restylane?

+1

The area you referred to below the eye is more commonly treated using Restylane or Juvederm in a procedure called the "tear trough". Using this procedure the practitioner adds volume to the area by injecting Restylane or Juvederm. This can limit or eliminate the appearance of these lower eye smile lines.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Wrinkle treatment secrets of actresses

+1

Beware of the media. Photographs of actresses and models are usually retouched with software programs to remove the wrinkles. If you are referring to live appearances of actresses that you have seen then you may be seeing the effects of filling agents that have been placed under the eyes to fill the eyelid smile lines. I do occasionally inject the lower eyelid muscle with very small amounts of Botox to prolong the effects of the filling agents. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable and experienced with injecting the lower lid if you wish to see its effect for you. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Lower eyelid Botox: off-label but OK in skilled hands

+1

Many patients who have been getting Botox into their crow's feet notice that the uninjected lower portion of the eyelid creases seem to get worse. I am well aware of the perils of injecting this area on the smile muscles but with careful superficial injection

I achieve a desirable relaxation of this area and have never had a smile complication. Try to find a doctor who seems comfortable and is experienced with injections in this advanced area.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

It has nothing to do with Botox unfortunately!

+1

I am glad someone finally asked this question. The problem with Botox injection into the lid itself is that you may end up with a weakened lower lid causing dry eyes and corneal irritation from the lack of protection. That crinkling you see when one smiles has more to do with the lack of collagen volume in the very thin lower lid skin. Even if the muscles were paralyzed the skin would still fold like an accordion when the cheek mass raises while smiling. In my practice, I treat this problem with a combination approach: NIA-24 from Mentor to rebuild collagen, hyaluronic eye gel for hydration, and lower lid laser in the appropriate candidate to tighten skin. These methodologies treat all the defects in the lid that actually cause the wrinkling with smiling. I do use Botox, but of the crow's foot area only, to maximize the effect. Hope this helps.

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon