Celebrity Skin Care Secrets
- Asked 5 years ago
Celebs look sooo perfect on the red carpet! How do hollywood stars get such perfect, radiant skin for their big events?
How to Get Celebrity Status Skin
The celebrities on the red carpet definitely look great with their radiant skin and wrinkle-free foreheads and brows. Here are some tips from least invasive to more invasive to become the envy of the crowd:
- Get started on a routine skin care regimen that involves gentle exfoliation (an alpha-hydroxy acid or light glycolic acid can do the trick) of dead skin cells, followed by a sunscreen and moisturizer. Neutrogena and Olay are less expensive over the counter brands. More upscale brands like Clinique and Lancome are effective as well with a broad array of products.
- If you have acne, get treated! There are many ways to treat acne, ranging from over the counter products with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, to prescription strength products with topical antibacterials and vitamin A derivatives that treat the bacteria that cause this problem. Retin-A may be useful for ruddy, uneven complexions.
- Treat your self to some new quality makeup. A large part of the reason those stars look so good is that they have hairstlyists, clothiers, jewelers, and make-up artists providing for them right before the big event. Make-up brands like MAC, Trish McEvoy, and Nars are known for their "stage make-up" that can help hide imperfections and not appear too heavy. I also like a new, rising upscale brand called Le Metier de Beaute that offers light-diffusing foundation, really cool pen-like liquid liners, and wonderful colors of lip gloss! Check out their website.
- Even though celebrities may hesitate to publicly admit it (and who would want to?), it is not uncommon for them to seek the advice and treatment from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon beforehand. Many smoothened foreheads and brows have been treated with Botox Cosmetic several days before the big event, and plumped up lips and nasolabial folds may have been given a little boost with Restylane or Juvederm soft tissue fillers. Caveat: if you want to try this route, go to a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist that knows what they are doing, and if you are going to get injectables, do it at least a week before your big day so that any bruising and swelling have time to fade!
Hope this helps!
-Dr. Jennifer Walden
Plastic Surgeon, New York, NY
There could be a number of reasons for this. One obvious reason is that many celebs have good skin to begin with (after all, it is hard to make it to that level with bad skin). The second reason is professionally applied make-up.
Having said that, there are a few tricks for getting a more radiant, glowing skin for the big events in your life:
- Schedule a microdermabrasion on the day of the event. This is easy, safe, and inexpensive.
- Make sure your body (hence your skin) is well hydrated.
- Take a nap! Make sure you all well rested before the event.
- Avoid smoking or excessive alcohol.
- Have confidence in how good you look. Thinking that you look good will often make you look better to others.
I hope this helps!
Skin Care Photos
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.