How Do I Know Which CC's Will Look Ok On My Body? (photo)

I am 5'7 1/2 and weigh 180 pounds. I currently wear a 36B and recently went to a consultation. I tried on 375cc's and thought it may be too big. My doctor said no, and encouraged me to go bigger. I'm unsure what will look good? I ultimately want to be a D but I don't want it to look too extreme. But I also don't want to go through with getting 375 or 400cc's and it turn out to be too small. What do you recommend? Help! I have attached my pic along with two pictures I would like to look like.

Breast Implants-How to Know How Many CCS will Look Good On You

+2

The Rice Test is the most accurate way to estimate the number of ccs of Breast Implant will look good on you. It involves using a plastic bag, adding rice to the bag and placing the bag into your bra.

You then convert the ccs of Rice to the ccs of Breast Implant that you will need.

For a conversion chart of ounces of rice to ccs see my article in the link below

Firmly committing to a Breast Implant before surgery is not wise

+2

Hi there-

Questions like yours are incredibly common and the choice of implant tends to generate an extreme amount of anxiety in patients... I have found the following very helpful:

Take a deep breath and think about the following...

The reason you are pursuing breast augmentation is because you would like to safely achieve a more pleasing breast appearance. Right?

You didn't wake up one day and think, "I really want the letter on my bra to be a D", or "I really want a sack of goo in my chest that has the number 400 on it"...

In other words, in my opinion, because it is a certain appearance that women like yourself are trying to achieve through the surgery, and NOT a letter on their bra or a number on their implants, using those measures to communicate goals or judge outcomes misses the point a bit, is too indirect, and greatly increases the chances of postoperative unhappiness.

After surgery, if the implants you chose are the ones you got, but your breasts look funny, will you be happy? 

Conversely, if your breasts are beautiful after surgery and look very close to what you envisioned for yourself, but the number on them is different than what you thought you were going to get, would you be concerned?

Take a step back from the trees, and look at the forrest- I think you'll agree the best thing you can do (other than choose your surgeon very carefully and based on the appropriate criteria- hint- lowest price is not a good one to use) to maximize your chances of being happy is to very carefully communicate your goals for appearance to your surgeon. Then give him the freedom to do what is necessary to achieve that appearance for you.

Choosing the implant before surgery gives the patient the (false) sense of security and control that (at least before surgery) might make you feel more comfortable about the process, and helps the surgeon absolve themselves of responsibility if the patient is unhappy after surgery (you picked them), but does not (IMHO) lead to a higher percentage of happy patients. In fact, this is (again, IMHO) a large part of the reason that the FDA expressed concerns that up to 10% of breast augmentation patients have a second operation within the first 12 months after surgery- because they are not happy with the size of the implants.

Communicate your appearance. Choose a surgeon carefully and trust their skills and judgment. Follow all instructions carefully.

Armando Soto, MD

Which implant is right

+2

I feel that a surgeon needs to take into consideration the dimensions of your native breast tissue to make sure that the implant will fit symmetrically behind the nipple. Without those dimensions, it is hard to advise you but in general terms, the 375 should not be too big, impossible to say if you will look like the photos though.  It is also hard to predict cup size as it depends on the maker of the bra.

Julio Garcia, MD

Choosing size

+1

Choosing the "correct" size generally causes considerable amount of concern for patients. However, size is generally not one of the major factors in ensuring a beautiful natural looking result. A surgeon will help guide you with the choice of the implant size that will meet your objectives and remain consistent with your dimensions.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

350 cc. implants may be fine for you.

+1

If you have tried sizers of 350 or 375cc., and they looked good to you, you will probably like the result of thisprocedure.  Round implants do not change the breast shape, they simply increase the volume.  They will increase the fullness of the upper part of the breast, as well as the lower.  This volume should not be too big for your frame, or your goal of a D cup.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Now that you have an idea of the sizes chosen for you. Why don't you do a "baggy test" at home and try it out.  If you think they are too large, then try smaller ones.  Then tell your surgeon.  This usually works for my patients.

Which implant size to pick??

+1

Implant size is probably the greatest concern of patients seeking breast augmentation. Different surgeons have different philosophies as to selecting the proper size. I have been fairly vocal on this forum about this topic.

Selecting the proper size is one of the most important decisions you will make not in terms of being disappointed you went too small but in going too large and creating damage to your tissues and increasing the chance that you will need corrective surgery, increased downtime, increased pain and loss of sensation and other problems.

IMHO (I love that term), "trying on an implant" by putting it on top of your breast in a bra makes as much sense as trying on a pair of pants by placing it on top of your thighs. This practice takes absolutely no information about your breast tissue into consideration. If your breasts had the ability to stretch infinitely without sustaining damage, then that practice would work.

There are some who say that you cannot know the proper size implant ahead of time, but the fact is that you can. Using methods that take into consideration the base width of the breast, the tissue compliance (stretchiness) and tissue thickness, you can make a very accurate prediction of the implant required. I have been doing this for 8 years and rarely make a change in the operating room from my preop selection. I also get requests to change implant size far less that 1% of the time so the system clearly works. Using sizers in the operating room is not necessary in routine cases, however, I will state that they are very useful when the breasts are of differieng volumes and the use of two different implants is required.

As for placing the implant above the muscle, I havent done that on a primary augmentation in over ten years, as the dual plane technique as described by Tebbetts works wonders on a breast with some glandular ptosis (drooping) as seen in your photos. That is an entirely different discussion.

You need to see a surgeon well versed and experienced in this operation who can best guide you on what the proper implant size based upon yoru tissues is, and can also review with you the possible issues that may occur should you choose to use a different size. That knowledge only comes with lots of experience.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Size

+1

There are a number of factors that influence the final size and shape of you breast after a breast augmentation.These factors include but are not limited to height,weight, implant size ,implant shape,skin envelope, anatomy of the underlying bone and history of breast feeding

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Know what you wish for after augmentation

+1

You are off to a very good start with the photos you posted, and this is what your surgeon should see to know the goal you have. None of us know the cc's until we complete an exam, apply sizers in the OR, and match our goal to what you have given to guide us. You will know the cc's when you get your implant ID card in recovery.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com