How Many CCs Would I Have to Remove to go From DDD to Small D/Full C Cup?

Hi, I just got 421cc mod+ silicone implants 13 days ago, and I am measuring a 32ddd. I know it is still early, but I am considering replacement. How many cc's would I have to remove (have in my new implant) to bring me down to a small 32d/full c? Additional info: each breast was only 7 inches before I got the implants.

Breast implant revision/sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Bra size 13 days after surgery

+1

YIKES.  13 days after surgery and you are thinking about a revision???  FORGET ABOUT BRA SIZE!  Bra size is about as important as shoe size.  It doesn't matter what size the bra or shoe is.  What matters is if it fits.  Give yourself some time to adjust to your new bustline and if you don't like the bra size, cut out the tags.  If at several months you think your breasts (as opposed to your bra) are too big,  see your surgeon and express your concern.  Also, remember to take into account your whole figure.    Take a good look at the balance of your hips and chest. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Cup size and implant volume

+1

It is very difficult to correlate cup size and implant volume. Bras are all sized differently, and very often bras from different companies that may fit you may be different sizes.  In general, you have to figure that each cup is approximately 150-200 cc's.

Breast augmentation, implants and cup sizes

+1

Unfortunately bra cup sizes (A,B,C,D,DD, etc) are not an exact scientific volume measurement.  A bally D will be a different volume than a Playtex D or a Victoria Secret D.   Even within a single company bra, cup size volume can vary depending on the style of the bra.  You certainly could have a smaller implant placed, but no surgeon could guarantee that a certain implant will result in a specific cup size.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon