How Many Cc's Do You Recommend? (photo)

I am currently a 36B (See first picture). Roughly how many cc's do you think it will take to achieve my ultimate goal (pictures shown)?

Many Factors Dictate Implant Volume Size

+1

Your breast size after surgery depends on several factors including current size and chest wall type, chest width, breast inframammary fold, second intercostal space, and the shape and volume of the implant being inserted.

If you are having breast augmentation, you should have the opportunity to select the breast implant that will give you the look you want. Although implant volume is important, the shape of the implant is just as important. In fact, there are several things you'll need to discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to your breast augmentation beyond the size of the implant: saline or silicon; round or oval; textured or smooth; under or over the muscle; location of the incision site; high or moderate profile. These decisions all help determine the volume you'll end up with as well.

The volumes of the breast implants are measured in CCs, (30cc = 1oz). The most popular implant size is 300ccs (10oz). You can get a rough idea of how big you might look by placing the desired volume in a freezer bag and placing it in the lower part of your bra.

Implant size is not something you want to try to guess! Let your surgeon help you determine what will give you the results your looking for based on your specific situation.

More information is needed to select a breast implant size that is good for you.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Having your height, weight and breast base width diameter would be helpful.  It appears that you have a good breast shape and tissue to begin with which is very helpful in getting a great result.

To know what size implant would be good for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

PIctures help in deciding how large you want your breast augmentation to be

+1

Thanks for the photos.  It appears that you'll need somewhere between 400 and 500cc to achieve your aesthetic goals.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

What size breast implants should I get? (photo)

+1

Based on your breast (chest) base width, shape of your breasts, and starting breast volume shown in submitted photo, and your desired outcome, a range between 450 and 550 ml. Is my best guess for expected implant size.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

For patients planning on breast augmentation surgery it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

Once you have made the selection of plastic surgeon, continue the communication process until you feel comfortable that you are both on the same page in regards to your size goals.

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.  

Choosing implant size

+1

I am seeing this question more and more, it is our job as plastic surgeons to help guide you through the sizing process and it IS a process. Photos are a great help in communicating desired size or shape to your surgeon. Conveying the look you want (natural vs perky) is also very helpful. But the height and width of your chest is also important and these things just can't be guessed with a photo. Find a local board certified surgeon and let them assist and guide you in this process. 

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Choosing an implant.

+1

I have to agree with the others who've answered your question.  You really need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, go over these pictures with him or her and look at implant sizers to help determine the ultimate volume.

Your final choice will be based not just on cup size, it will be based on your starting situation, your goals, your height, your hips and your shoulders.

Tall and broad people can take much larger implants and looked very proportionate.  Smaller patients may look just as busty but will require a smaller implant.

I always encourage my patients to try on implant sizes and the office and bring a variety of different blouses with them. As you look at yourself with sizers think about the balance with the hips and shoulders just as much as you think about the cup size.

I call the photos above a box of breasts.  Unfortunately it just doesn't tell the whole story.  As you proceed with your plastic surgeon think persons size as you consider your breast size.

Good luck as you make your decisions.  If you choose the right plastic surgeon the implants selection process will be interesting and gratifying.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

How to pick breast implants.

+1

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant sizing

+1

Many factors are considered in determining the appropriate size breast implant for a particular patient.  These include:  1/ the patients current breast size;  2/ the patient's desired size;  3/ the patient's breast and chest wall dimensions;  4/ the softness/tightness of the patient's soft tissues;  5/ the patient's life-style and activity level.

With the above information a range of possible implant sizes is recommended for consideration.  The patient can the "try on" various implants in that range and decide which one she likes best.  This is the best and most accurate way to make sure the patient gets the size and result she wants.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS