How Many CCs Will Give me a Natural and Proportionate Look?

Im 5'7", 200lbs with large body frame, wide shoulders/chest, small 40B-cup; I look manly. I am scheduled for a BA w/silicon in two weeks, but Im still stuck as to which CC size/profile shape will look best on me:

500cc or 550cc, moderate or moderate plus. I want to look natural/proportionate and dont want to regret 'not going bigger' later, but neither do I want to look like an 'overdone' porn star; I told the dr he can choose the final size/profile for me, but I'm still confused. Please help!

Natural and proportionate looking breast augmentation

+2

Much more important than ccs are dimensions of the implant and technique.  In my opinion , nothing will give you a more natural appearance then a low profile implant carefully placed in a subfascial plane to give you superior pole fullness, a rounded base and a teardrop slope.  Submuscular placement will draw attention to the wide central space between your breasts while an intelligently designed subfascial dissection will correct it.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Both implants will give you significant increase in your breast size, I do not think given your breast width that the difference will be dramatic so it wont really matter which size you pick 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant size selection to achieve your goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Appropriate volume for breast augmentation

+1

You are a little larger than the typical patient getting breast augmentation so you can tolerate a larger sized implant without appearing too "fake". Ideally the diameter of the implant should match the diameter of you breast and chest wall. You should ask your surgeon how he will perform the procedure. The best method in your case would be to place temporary sizers during the operation, sit you up, and evaluate how you look. Based on the sizers then your surgeon can choose the most appropriate implant to meet your goals.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Use implant dimensions to guide you for the desired look.

+1

Your final look will be determined by how the implant projects from your chest base and the tissue envelope that it sits under.  cc volume is not the ideal means by which to judge the fit of the implant.  Most mass manufactures of implants have modelled their styles of implants offerred to match the base width of your native breast/chest.  As general rule, the measured base diameter of your chest/breast will yield the size of the implant footprint.  The projection is then adjusted by selecting from hte mass production list of all major breast implant companies.  This is the most reliable standard to yield natural looking breast outcomes following bresat augmentation. 

Instead of focusing on cc volumes, select the dimensions of the implant to match well with the base of your breast augmentation will have a far greater chance of being a natural look.  Wishing you a safe and satisfying experience.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Cup size

+1

Your pocket size will pretty much determine the cc range of your implants.  Your PS has to make sure that your expectations via a photo maybe and your body;s proportion, breast pocket size all come together to create a natural look for you in the long run-

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

The cc amount will depend on what cup size you want to end up being. You are a little taller and wider than most patients so you will need more cc's than a smaller person. You should show a photo to your surgeon of what you would like to look like so there is no confusion.

David E. Kim, MD