Is There Anything to Do to Make CC Less Severe or Does It Only Get Worse? W/out Repeat BA

I had my BA on 3-3-11. about a month later I noticed my left breast hardening n more tender than right. Also, the healing on left side was much slower n worse scar than on right side. my right breast feels natural and soft but my left one is painful to lay on or put any pressure on and is very hard. is it normal for CCto dent in so fast n is there anything I can do 2 minimze CC w/out a repeat BA? They still both look great and i'm super happy w/ results minus the left breast issue. Thank you

Treatment for contracture after augmentation

+2

Hardening of implants after surgery is the result of contracture of the breast capsule. 4 stages are recognized:

Baker I: soft and natural;

Baker II: firm but without distortion;

Baker III: firm and distorted;

Baker IV: painful contracture.

Since he feels that both breasts still look good I would recommend a trial of an oral medication called Accolate. This is an asthma medication that very often helps relax the capsule of forms around a breast implant. A 4 week trial has very little risk and may help your situation. If things do not improve and you are uncomfortable or if things get worse then open surgical revision may be necessary.

Treatments for capsular contracture after breast augmentation

+2

As mentioned by Dr. Engler, capsular contracture is a difficult problem to correct.  massage and ultrasound may help in the earlier stages.  Certain medications have been tried, but without predictable success.  If the contracture is either visible or painful, a surgical release of the scar tissue is generally needed.  This case sounds like it could benefit from some more time with observation. 

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Is There Anything to Do to Make CC Less Severe or Does It Only Get Worse? W/out Repeat BA

+2

Hi Victoria1855,

I wish I had better suggestions for you but I'm not sure that there's much that you can do about this without undergoing another procedure.

Capsular contracture (CC) remains one of the most vexing problems in plastic surgery.  With no apparent reason or cause, and often unilaterally (one side only), scar tissue can form.  I don't know of any way to prevent it from happening, slow it down once it's started, or reverse it once it's formed - aside from another procedure.

The good news is that just because it's a little firm doesn't necessarily mean it will continue that way.  Normal  movement (assuming the implant is under the muscle) MAY help it...but you should obviously talk to your own plastic surgeon about this and any other suggestions he or she may have.

Hopefully, it won't get worse - and may even get better - and, in the meantime, you can continue to enjoy the results you have.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Capsular Contracture

+1

Capsular contracture is usually a progressive problem, massaging may help. Occasionally I have had some luck using certain types of ultrasound treatments for capsular contracture. But mainly surgery remains the main treatment for this problem.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

+1

I'm posting my personal regime but the success rate is very low but worth a try before having a capsular contracture release.It is Accolate medication, aggressive compression exercises and external ultrasound therapy for a month. Hope this helps. 

Breast augmentation

+1
Capsular contracture is a difficult problem that may be a result of biofilms. There have been reports of using medications such as accolate to treat the capsule but that is an off label use and is unreliabe at best. It is not uncommon for surgery to be the only option for mprovement.

David L. Abramson, MD

Capsular contracture

+1

If you are having pain and firmness of the breast, it sounds like you need a capsulectomy and exchange of implant. It is difficult to predict whether or not it will progress.