CC Difference when Searching for an Ideal Look? (photo)

So after my last question I realized that u cannot ask for a size, but u can suggest a look you may one to come close to. In my initial consultation I was deciding between a 397 and a 421 silicone implant. (natrelle). Is there a huge difference between the two? I am 5'2'' 115 pounds. The first two photos are my current size and the other two photos are what I am looking to kinda be. Are the sizes I have chose to large for my body size?

The ideal look for you after breast implants

+2

It is difficult to know the size of the implant without the benefit of an examination, and often 'sizers' at the time of surgery to guide implant selection will help us reach the 'number'. The pictures however are excellent and your surgeon will find the information very helpful to reach the ideal look for you. Little difference in the 397 and the 421 but the day after you will know what was best. If you look close to the ideal does the number matter?

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Ideal Breast Size

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you as precise of advice as you're looking for without examining you. However, some general words of advice may be helpful....

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Difference between cc's in breast augmentation

+1

This is one of the most common questions I hear from breast augmentation patients.  Trying to decide between two sizes can be a difficult decision.  The difference between these two implants is less than two tablespoons.  I usually advise my patients who are trying to decide between two sizes, to select the larger of the two.  It’s difficult to say based on your photos if those sizes are too large for your body.  That decision is best made after a full exam with measurements.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Ideal Look

+1

I actually think that the sizes you selected WILL actually get you close to those desired photos. Now to reiterate what other surgeons have mentioned, a fixation on a number is not heatlhy, Recent software programs with Allergan and Canfield have have created an excellent PREVIEW of what you would look like ahead of time.  Look for a local office that may have the Vectra software and you will see if what you want is what you may get. Good Luck, i hope all works out well for you.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1

If I can only base my response on those self photos than I GUESS the larger size. But only a guess. Best to be seen IN PERSON. 

Don't Obsess About CC's Or Cup Size

+1

You should not obsess about either cup size or cc's when having breast augmentation.  There is no standard cup size.  The difference in 397cc and 421cc is less than two tablespoons.  Try on implants and get opinion of your plastic surgeon so that you do not select an implant which is too large for your breast(s).

John Whitt, MD

The Look-

+1

Given the different styles of implants available currently, either in silicone gel or saline- your desired look can be variable even with the same "cc" volume. A more thorough approach is to assess your breast measurement against the implant dimensions/measurements. This may give you more information to determine what is best for you.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

The difference between the two implants is minimal.  AS for the "look" it is hard to say without an exam, besides everyone looks different with the different implants.

Implant size

+1

Thank you.

You were specific in your questions.1. The difference between the two sizes you menteioned:I can tell you the difference is too small around 25 cc only, in larger implants this too trivial difference won't make a difference n the final decision.

2. The answer for: if they are too large for your body, iIhave to tell you it's difficult to answer this question without thorough understanding of your expectations followed by detailed examination and discussion, and all that can be done with your surgeon, and from there the answer will be. good luck 

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augment

+1

That huge difference between implants you are considering is about 5 teaspoons. Put that way it's not so big. But you should definitely not be the one deciding on implant size. You won't really have a good idea of what an implant will look like behind the breast tissue and muscle until it is there. That's why you have an experienced surgeon who will take several sizes to the operating room, then during surgery will actually insert different size test implants until he/she finds the implant that most closely resembles your ideal.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD