Electrocautery For Acne? Will it Cause Scarring?

I m using isotretinoin and antiboitics for acne. The facial acne are gone with this treatment but nech acne had no effect. Dermatologist advised electrocautery. will it cause scarring? if yes, is ther any precaution to avoid scaring.

Electrocautery For Acne and Acne Scarring

+2

I use electrocautery to improve acne scars, but I rarely use it for active acne lesions.  Additionally, I recommend that you avoid electrocautery and other treatments such as microdermabrasion, laser, waxing, chemical peeling and acne surgery while on isotretinoin as it makes your skin very sensitive and more likely to scar from such procedures.

It can scar, specially when you are on Isotretinoin

+2

Electrocautery can scar, specially while you are on Isotretinoin.  Any potentially scarring procedure, such as deep peeling, waxing, ablative laser treatments, etc,, are generally advised against during Isotretinoin therapy for this reason. 

Chang Son, MD
Fort Lee Dermatologist

Electrocautery for Acne Scarring is not one of my options

+1

Electrocautery is not something that I have ever considered. It is not high on the list for treatment options. I would consider laser resurfacing and a multilayered approach.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon